· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Rethinking my stock plan.

0 Not allowed!
    What I have:

55g with Aqua-Tech 50, and an AquaClear 70.
    30% W/C once per week, twice if I feel froggy.

1 Dwarf Gourami
    24 Neon Tetras
    9 Kuhli Loaches
    1 Otocinclus

Okay, I originally wanted to add a German Blue Ram, and an Apistogramma. After observing some aggression from my Gourami to a German Blue Ram that eventually ended in the GBR's death I am hesitant to try again.

I was thinking of getting another GBR, QTing for two weeks, then making the Gourami stay in the QT for a week or so while the GBR got used to the tank. I was hoping that would cut down on the territorial thing, but that is questionable.

I am now leaning heavily towards getting a small school (6) of a larger tetra to fill in the space a little bit. I'm leaning towards Bloodfins.

Does anyone thing the plan with the GBR and Gourami would work? What do you think of the Bloodfins?
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandyK
    Does anyone thing the plan with the GBR and Gourami would work? What do you think of the Bloodfins?
    Um, How did that work out the first time? And why would you expect different results from the same situation?

If you change nothing I don't see how you could expect different results, Know what I mean?

One possible solution is provide more cover in your tank to limit visibility and break up the available territories.

Imo - Get more ottos after your tank matures a bit, If you must get Bloodfins get 10 or more.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 08-01-2012 at 06:56 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Um, How did that work out the first time? And why would you expect different results from the same situation?

If you change nothing I don't see how you could expect different results, Know what I mean?

One possible solution is provide more cover in your tank to limit visibility and break up the available territories.

Imo - Get more ottos after your tank matures a bit, If you must get Bloodfins get 10 or more.

Um, well the first time I didn't do what I suggested above... I don't remember if I put this in but I'm not sure that the Gourami is completely to blame. I'm also thinking that the store I went to just has bad stock (which being sick + bring bullied couldn't have helped). I didn't QT the GBR so I can't really say yay or nay on that one, but I can say that every fish but one that came from that store is dead. Anyway as I stated I am leaning towards another school anyway. I'll let you know if I do decide to try the other method with a GBR.

I don't HAVE to get bloodfins, I'm just thinking about them. I may decide I like something else better. I've got a little while before I do this so I'll have some time to think. Is there something wrong with them? I haven't heard anything negative about them thus far. I'll do some more research on them just to be sure. Unless there is some agression issue (will research) with them and their school size I'm probably going to go with 6. Just because they are bigger, and I don't want to over crowd the tank. If I think more would benefit the tank after I add the 6, then I'll add more. It's just easier to add fish, than to take them out. Lol.

I first have to purchase my 5g, get some more ammonia test liquids, and a few other things before I add the fish. I've also got to wait on my 10g to be completely seeded before I bring in the 5g. We're looking at about a month I'd say.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just a note from what I see....a bare 10 gallon tank will cost basically the same thing as the 5 gallon and it would give you more options qting....even if you buy a kit at walmart the price difference is 2 dollars.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes Lady, I have been thinking about that. There are 10g's for like $10 bucks, and 5g's for about $15, but I'm thinking in terms of space with this one. The place it will have to be set up (when it is set up) is very small, and thin. I'm pretty sure a 10g won't fit. I'd much rather have the 10g, I just don't think it'll work.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had a tiny aggression problem with a dwarf gourami so I rearranged the decorations in the entire tank - which made him have to find and establish a new territory. have not had any difficulty since. Don't know if that would work for you but it did the trick for my tank and I've had harmony for several months now.

as for the tetras - I don't have any blood fins but at the rec of someone here on the forum I added 8 Colombian Tetras to my tank. LOVE them! they group loosely (seem to like each others company) fill the tank nicely at mid water level and do not pester any other fish. Very pretty too.

Good luck!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you fishmommie! I think I will try that. I'm thinking that if I let the Gourami hang in the QT for about a week, and also move the decor around it just might work!! Thank you for the idea.

If that works then I won't be adding another school. I'll keep everyone updated of course.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I came into this hobby very uneducated and set up my 30 gal in Feb with 3 dwarf Gourami's + a betta. Beginner mistake and I probably wouldn't mix these fish together again knowing what I know now. I suspect I was just VERY lucky that I got mellow fellows. I watch them closely. They are healthy and active but, as I said, to date, except for that one period where one of the gourami's got a little nippy with another gourami (that's when I changed the decor around) all is well. the betta just patrols the tank like a general and the gourami's keep clear of him and each other.
    I think that because I have lots of plants and objects for them to hide in and around has made a huge difference.
    But again, I think I got lucky and continue to watch them all carefully.
    I can't bring myself to rehome some of them as I've grown attached and I would worry they wouldn't get the same care (or even if they'd get adopted). So, I play this game of Russian Roulette and so far have been fine. Hope it all works out for you.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails

0 Not allowed!
    Oh wow, that is risky. I'm happy to hear that is has worked for you thus far.

After thinking about this and your suggestion for some reason I'm still leaning heavily towards another school.

Also to 850R, it was Serpae Tetras I was thinking of and not Bloodfins. I got my names mixed up.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think you would love Colombian tetras. I'm a real fan now that I have them. Great, active, peaceful fish and fun to watch.