Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Betta Bowl

  1. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Blimey! Poor J_vincent was only saying how well the fish is doing! Looks alright to me and 10 months and no problems, i would say things are going good. by all means give advice but don't strike people down when they are just showing some enthusiasm towards the hobby.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Second left after the Haggis Farm
    Posts
    3,988

    Awards Showcase

    Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    So if I took 20G of week old tank water out of my 42G, then took 20G out my 48G then placed the water from the 42 into the 48 and vice versa does that count as a proper water change???? Recycling dirty water isn't a water change at all. Infortunately your logic is pretty off there. I always said betta owners do some daft things

    Try doing a 25% water change everyday (clean dechlorinated tap water) seeing as you aren't running a filter
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

  3. #13

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty811
    i would say things are going good. by all means give advice but don't strike people down when they are just showing some enthusiasm towards the hobby.
    Then you obviously need to do the same research wrt bettas care requirements that the OP requires in order to relieve you of the misapprehension in the first line above.

    Would you say a pet owner keeping a kitten in a shoebox in a drawer it's entire life would be 'doing good'? Obviously this is perfectly fine since the owners are showing such enthusiasm towards the hobby right?

    'Enthusiasm' is not the same thing as 'informed animal care practices' or even 'competent care'.

    When the animal is paying a price [Inadequate living conditions] for our 'enthusiasm', We need to UP our game... Or get out of it altogether.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

    A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

  4. #14

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    The truth will be told here whether or not it is what someone wants to hear.

    The fact is that bettas, like any other fish, should have some sort of filtration. In the absence of this, daily water changes are required. Not top offs.

    Replacing the water with water from another tank hardly counts as a water change and I fail to see the logic in this.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

  5. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Yea im having a hard time figuring this out. It actually seems like more work to me to transfer water from one tank to another instead of just getting fresh water... It almost seems like a trolling comment to me to be perfectly honest, something that would get a rise out of us...
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

  6. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by j_vincent
    Well it's been almost a year and he has had not one problem. I repeat: NO PROBLEMS!
    What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH levels of your betta's bowl, and what have they been for the last year? If you don't know that, then you have absolutely no way of knowing that there have been no problems.


    Quote Originally Posted by FinalJenemba
    It almost seems like a trolling comment to me to be perfectly honest, something that would get a rise out of us...
    Agreed, so I digress!
    Last edited by CherrySparkles; 09-04-2012 at 10:48 PM.
    *We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice.* - Mamoru Oshii

  7. #17

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Good god guys... the guy does water changes once a week, at least that's something! I agree, the old tank water thing is a terrible idea, but come on the fish live in essential mud puddles in their natural habitat. I think the bowl looks awesome, even though it's not the perfect environment. I respect your love for the hobby and the fish but sometimes things are taken way too seriously around here. Other betta keepers do nothing but top it off every 6 months with bowls like this! The betta looks happy, and his tank looks clean. That's my impression and opinion of this tank.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

  8. #18

    Default BTW - The OP hasn't been here for a month


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly
    I think the bowl looks awesome, even though it's not the perfect environment.
    Obviously some of us have our priorities in the opposite order of yours.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

    A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

  9. #19

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I'd say that life is something that should be taken VERY seriously. No matter how small...

    That of course was in response to this: "I respect your love for the hobby and the fish but sometimes things are taken way too seriously around here."
    Last edited by MandyK; 09-05-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

  10. #20

    Lightbulb Too late to edit my previous post. :-D


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly
    . . . but come on the fish live in essential mud puddles in their natural habitat.
    Do they? Allow me to offer you the opportunity to espouse an informed opinion about the native habitats of Betta Splendens.

    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

    A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •