· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default New Tiger barbs in tank

0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday I got 8 little green tiger barbs in my 32 gallons.
    Only other fish in it is a 4 years old and grumpy rainbow shark.

I read that they can both coexist in a tank, especially if the barbs are in a group.
    I'm not planning to add anything else for a while until everything is stable.

Now I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help them settle in their new environment?

I have trouble reading my PH, I think it's around 7.5 but as I said, I'm really not sure so I'm worried it could be higher... ((I need to get easier to read tests!))

This morning they were all alive and seemed well and ate.

Again, any advices and tips are welcomed!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    if you can, keep the lights off for the first few days, it will calm them down. but other than that tbs are super resilient fish and they should be fine. you might want to add another 6 or so when you can. the bigger the school the less problems you will have
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    wow? wont that overcrowd my tank?
    I already have a 4-5 inch Rainbow shark
    I mean, I doubt all my barbs will survive the stress and whatever can happen when in a new environment (I always end up losing a couple when I buy fishes -_-;) even with being careful.

How much would be too much?

Assuming eventually I want to get a center piece fish too

0 Not allowed!
    I would not add any other species to what you have, in a 32g tank. The reason genocidex suggested adding a few more is the3 inherent behaviour of this species (Tiger Barb). They can tend to get nippy with each other in small groups. Most sources now suggest no fewer than 8, with 12+ being safer. A 30g tank is minimum for this group, with no other species. However, if you do add more, do it sooner rather than later. Once the existing fish have settled in and formed their heirarchy within the group of 8, new additions might not be so welcome.

Which brings me to the shark. I would think it will be OK, but there is the slight chance that it might take a dislike to the barbs. But if not, fine.

Byron.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yea the shark was there long before the barbs.
    should I get barbs soon so they settle a hierarchy? I don't mind getting 4 mores and making the group the ''center piece'' either.

So far, Sharky stays in his cave, but that's not new. I haven't seen him harass anyone so far. But I only put them yesterday evening, and I work during the day. My roommate told me they were all alive, active and sharky didn't go out yet.

Should I feed them twice a day? once a day? I usually fed him once every two days, once a day he just left the food there and it made gross little balls.

I might check if I need to feed him more ''sinking'' food now as the barbs are so veracious (I love it!) but he wont get much o.0;

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerMom View Post
    yea the shark was there long before the barbs.
    should I get barbs soon so they settle a hierarchy? I don't mind getting 4 mores and making the group the ''center piece'' either.

So far, Sharky stays in his cave, but that's not new. I haven't seen him harass anyone so far. But I only put them yesterday evening, and I work during the day. My roommate told me they were all alive, active and sharky didn't go out yet.

Should I feed them twice a day? once a day? I usually fed him once every two days, once a day he just left the food there and it made gross little balls.

I might check if I need to feed him more ''sinking'' food now as the barbs are so veracious (I love it!) but he wont get much o.0;
    I would add the additional barbs now.

Feeding once a day is sufficient for the barbs when settled, and you can skip water change day (fish should not be fed prior to any disruption in the tank). As for the shark, sinking foods are fine. If the barb eat this before the shark can, feed the sinking food well after darkness.

Byron.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, I'll go get 4 more barbs tonight then! :)
    I'm glad I joined this forum you guys seem to know a lot about fishes hehe

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

1 Not allowed!
    i wouldnt add any more atm. you will be dealing with a small ammonia spike as is. in 2/3 weeks would be fine. adding another minumal school will help the barbs settle in. what are the dimensions on this tank? 32g isnt too common is all im saying.

for 33g long (im hoping thats the case :P) then 16 tbs wouldnt be unheard of. and that should leave room for another few if you want. TBs can be demon fish if the school is not kept big enough. with a school of 16 i cant see too much of a problem with adding a center piece fish later on, if its the right one. fish that wont work ime gouramis, and angels. those fins would be prime subjects for nippage.

but my advice might change depending on the dimensions of your tank
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    More 31.5 inches long by 14 inches

It's not the biggest tank I know, but as I said, I'm trying to set that one, make it stable, then maybe get a bigger one. I do have a spot in my living room that would welcome a larger tank, but I need to setup the living room it self before that or I'll get too much sunlight

For now the only thing that's nice about the location of my current tank is that its somewhere where there isn't much sun light, (behind a small walk nook) so no crazy algae

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    i cant see why you cant add a total of 20 tigers and that shark. although that tank is a bit small for a rainbow shark but thats something that isnt too bad.
    gotta love them bunnies!