· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    By MC I mean small fish. A micro aquarium refers to one under 10 gallons.

EDIT: FOUND IT!!
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=94735
    Last edited by Cory Catfish; 07-30-2012 at 03:34 AM.
    I tested 97% positive for Multiple Tank Syndrome
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish
    King of the Virtual [Cory] Catfish

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, sorry bout that. Makes sense. Also, I did an edit to the last post. Thought I could fit the stuff in before you checked and posted again. Guess not. XD I'm assuming that thread has some fish that would be rather comfortable in a 20G correct? Jumping in and taking a look now.
    This is my scroll. You know you want to click, eh?

Fish are friends, not food... Unless you're a bigger fish that is. - Me

0 Not allowed!
    Well, the fish in the link are microfish good for a microcommunity. Just thought I'd refer to it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm glad you did! I've barely made it past the first page and all I can say is....

Pygmy Cory. Me Want. XD For cereal though, I'd love to have some. I'm just worried the tank wouldn't be big enough for the amount of them I'd need with the other fish as well... Any thoughts?

0 Not allowed!
    A micro-community is about the size of the fish - Not the container. So, Yes.

8 hours... lol The last fish I had shipped spent 5 days in a breather bag and he was just fine.

The ammonia is why you want to get them out of the bag but the primary reason for a slow and gradual acclimation is to adjust them to your pH if they come from significantly different water parameters than you have. This is the toughest adjustment they have to make.

I do think that putting a betta in a community tank has its risks. It is a 50/50 crap shoot on whether or not the betta will accept any company.

They are called 'fighting fish' and usually kept alone for a very good reason.

It's really hard to suggest a centerpiece fish for a 20g tank. I would consider if you want a centerpiece or are going to go micro or two schools

Since I don't care for neons, Betta, or gourami [Which will undoubtedly be suggested for a centerpiece ] I am afraid I am not going to be much help lol.

I would be tempted to go with Rummy nosed Tetras and Harlequin Rasboras with no centerpiece fish as you could have quite a few.

Or look up galaxy & chilli rasboras or ember tetras if you want large numbers of tiny fish lol.

I usually suggest people go to the LFS and take some notes [But take NO money] on what catches their eye. Google will help you learn a bit about them and we can help sift out what won't work from the list.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 07-30-2012 at 03:57 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    What are your other plans for stock? Pygmy cories are just about compatible with every smaller fish. You could def have 2 sufficient schools in there and still be fine. But I wouldn't go past the 2 school limit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Would two schools be WITH the Corys and centerpiece fish, or would the Corys count as a school?

I've just found out about something called an Apisto, and they seem pretty cool. I saw that someone suggested one for a 20G community on this site. Just wondering if you guys would echo that piece of advice. If the Betta is going to be a risk, I think I'm going to stay away from it for sure. I'd probably feel terrible if it murdered some of my other fish.

As for the local pet stores, I've been to Wet Pets and Petsmart multiple times each. Unfortunately for me, I suffer from "OOH, I violent predator! syndrome" so most of what caught my eye were Gars, Bichirs, etc. Nothing really stuck out as a centerpiece fish other than a discus, but I already know that's not gonna work with a 20G.

0 Not allowed!
    Cories would count as a school.

As for the apistos, I would say NO!! with the betta and stock. You could very well keep them together--in big, planted tanks, but not in a 20 G with limited space.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish

Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    I never suggest appistos for newly set up tanks as they need stability and solidly good water conditions, Not your most forgiving fish if you are a newb either.

Research away on them though for later as they work perfectly in a 20G [But not with a betta]:-D.

IMO you cannot fit two schools AND a centerpiece fish of any size in there.

1CentrP + 1 Largish school [Or conversely a smaller school of larger tetras]

OR

2 schools [size determined by stock choice]

Then, Add pygmy cories and possibly shrimp and snails and call it a day.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd be absolutely fine with 1 school, one centerpiece, some corys and snails/a shrimp. I think my issue(besides funds XD) is going to be my own pickiness here. You know of any non aggressive possibly sharp and pointy fish that might do as a CP? If I get the chance, I'll run by WP and PetsMart and take some more notes tomorrow. Maybe it'll be my lucky day. And since a 20G is so small, I'm taking that as a definite "NO" on the Wells Catfish huh? XD

Also, I can't thank you guys enough for all the advice! Especially since we're practically running a chat room right now.