· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentobu
    Wow, as cool as a 7 inch catfish would be, that would need a way bigger tank!
    But Cory, what would you recommend to make this work as a 20 gallon? I'm just not going to have enough money to get a larger tank at the moment.
    Really, they should at least be in a thirty, 20 is meh.

Maybe you could keep one in the 20 and when you have more money move it to a different tank?
    I tested 97% positive for Multiple Tank Syndrome
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish
    King of the Virtual [Cory] Catfish

0 Not allowed!
    A big +1 to the research

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Catfish
    Maybe you could keep one in the 20 and when you have more money move it to a different tank?
    No, Stock for the tank you have. Not everything in life goes as you hope and 'that new tank' sometimes evaporates as a reality in a flash.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I'm really wanting to stick with the 20g for right now. It's all I'll probably have the money for at the moment. But what would you guys recoomend for 20g stock? If possible I'd prefer something like this...

A large school of small colorful fish
    One possibly larger colorful fish
    Two or three randoms(Cool fish, snail, etc.)
    One or two bottom dwellers.

And thanks for all the already great advice guys! I'm just not quite sure which internet sites are 100% reliable with information, and I'm even more scared of asking some of the people in the local pet stores, ya know?
    This is my scroll. You know you want to click, eh?

Fish are friends, not food... Unless you're a bigger fish that is. - Me

0 Not allowed!
    So, without any other ideas of stock, how about killifish?
    They are very hardy and beautiful fish.

~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure. I did a little research and I'm a little put off by their rarity in stores. Of course, that's not necessarily a bad thing, I've just got newbie scared syndrome I guess. However, I may have seen a few in the local "ma and pop" shop we have. Not sure, but the name definitely rings a bell.

The number of species is a little overwhelming to be honest. I looked at a few, and I think I'm kinda partial to a South American variety or two. They're certainly gorgeous little fish. :)

0 Not allowed!
    Or you could shoot for microcommunity, but since most of the impressive ones are hard to find and a bit pricey I think you should probably skip that one.

How about a run for tetras?
    Congos are especially my favorites.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Why would microcommunity be hard to find?

As for tetras, I like the Neons and Black Neons alot. But I really like the Bloodfin and "X-Ray Pristella", and Buenos Aires tetras.

0 Not allowed!
    Why would microcommunity be hard to find?
    They aren't, Perhaps CoryC refers to the fact you would likely have to mail-order stock as they would not be found locally.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    I refer to the fact that the most desirable small fish are harder to find, and yes that is partly correct 850R.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So would a 20G be considered a microcommunity? Well how pricey are we talking about? I'm kinda in between jobs, but I don't spend much outside of what I need for material goods and the occasional fast food meal. On top of that, my last job only paid $120 per week. I've been applying for some REAL jobs, and I'm hoping to get an interview or two soon. After I work for a bit and save up some money, I'd have a decent bit to work with. At that point, expanding to a 30G might be possible, if you guys think it's feasible for a newbie of my level(Never took care of my own aquarium) to handle. And 850R, you seem pretty experienced, would you have any suggestions for a 20 gallon, or comments on my plan/outline?

Also, I'd have no problem ordering fish, but I'd imagine it couldn't be fun for a little(or big) guy to be stuck in a bag for 8 hours before he arrived. I also heard that acclimating the fish to the tank takes just a little more time when they've been in the bag longer due to the ammonia buildup. Is that really correct?
    Last edited by Kentobu; 07-30-2012 at 03:36 AM.