· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default 20 Gallon in planning

0 Not allowed!
    So, I'm trying to plan out my first aquarium. I'm looking at a "24 1/4"L x 12 1/2"W x 16 3/4"H" 20 Gallon tank. I'd go bigger, but this would fit perfectly in a spot in my room right now.

Anyways, I've been debating long and hard on the species. I've pretty much ruled out a Clown Loach(Really wanted one too! Maybe one day.) and Tiger Barbs. DO you guys think these fish would get along and have room in that size tank?

12 Neon Tetras
    2 Otocinclus
    1 Betta
    3-4 Freshwater Snails of some sort. Any suggestions on the species? I remember having some in a tank when I was younger, but I don't remember what kind they were.

Thanks for the help in advance everyone.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the double post, but I just realized this might be some important information. The Betta would be a male.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Otos require schools so you need a minimum 8 of them, however they eat algae 24/7 so a 20G wouldn't support enough algae to keep them. You can add cucumber for them but really they aren't suited to small tanks.

1 betta and 12-15 neons sounds pretty good to me if you look in the snail section of the forum a member posted 2 pics of their nerite snails, awesome colours so check it out.

I commend you for doing some research and not getting a clown loach!!! They are beautiful fish but that is their downfall. Reaching 14 inches long, needing a school of 6+ and living for 40 years 99% of aquarium owners don't have the means to keep them.

Don't know how new to the forum you are but read up on cycling a tank if your a newbie
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I'm glad to hear that the betta, tetras and snails will work out. Are there any of the "sucker fish" that would be able to work in a 20g setup? I really like them but alas, I don't have enough money to buy a larger tank at the moment.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some people may tell you than certain plecostomus will work in a 20 gallon, but more will tell you to go at least to a 30 gallon for them. To add interest to the bottom, I would add shrimp. Something with color like red cherry shrimp. I would highly recommend ordering shrimp online to save money. In stores Tvs can easily go for $3-5 each. Online you typically pay around $1.

Once your tank is cycled, I would add your neons than snails and shrimp. Wait until last to add the betta and get him as young as you can. Take you time picking a betta too, there ate so many types of bettas out there. My most recent betta is a blue/green half-moon double tail. He's absolutely gorgeous.
    Someday, when I have all the fish tanks I want, I hope to be featured on an episode of animal hoarders.

Received some great advice? Be sure to show your appreciation by giving rep points! Click the scale on the upper right of that wonderful post and tell someone

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What is a Tv? And I'm kind of liking the shrimp idea. I saw a few today at one of the pet stores, and I could see adding them to the aquarium. How many would be appropriate? Just one, or more?

Also, saw an upside down catfish today. Was wondering if 2 of those would fit, or would they need a bigger tank? Thanks for all the advice so far guys!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't advise you to get any upside downs for your tank size. Often they are hard to I'd when small, some can get upwards of 7inches.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Meh, not with your current stock, it wouldn't. I think that the housing should be a little bit larger, though, say, like 30 gallons.

EDIT: ScottishFish beat me to it.
    I tested 97% positive for Multiple Tank Syndrome
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Cory Catfish
    King of the Virtual [Cory] Catfish

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, as cool as a 7 inch catfish would be, that would need a way bigger tank!
    But Cory, what would you recommend to make this work as a 20 gallon? I'm just not going to have enough money to get a larger tank at the moment.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry about that, I post from my mobile and it likes to make me look like a idiot. Tvs should have been rcs:red cherry shrimp.
    Someday, when I have all the fish tanks I want, I hope to be featured on an episode of animal hoarders.

Received some great advice? Be sure to show your appreciation by giving rep points! Click the scale on the upper right of that wonderful post and tell someone