· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Multi Fry!!!!

Hybrid View

1. Default Multi Fry!!!!

0 Not allowed!
    My colony of multies is down to 6 from my original 8, but today, looking in the tank, I noticed we have fry! I saw at least one, but they are in the shells, so I probably have more. They are visibly fish.... In other words, I'm guessing several weeks old.

Do I need to feed fry food (Hikari small bites) or will they do well with the regular food I'm giving the parents?

Do I need to remove them from the tank?

I'M SO EXCITED! I've been hoping for babies!

:)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaCats

Do I need to feed fry food (Hikari small bites) or will they do well with the regular food I'm giving the parents?

Do I need to remove them from the tank?

I'M SO EXCITED! I've been hoping for babies!

:)
    Multi fry will be safe with the adults. I think that's one of the great things about multifasciatus that I liked. You can have a multi colony with several generations coexisting, fun watching the colony grow over time. For the fry I just added in a bit of crushed flake, hikari small bites is fine too. I went from having 20 or so, to well over a hundred in about 6 months I think, I lost track of the numbers after that point.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's fantastic. I'm afraid for this batch as I'm going out of town for the next week... I'm leaving feeders, but still. Anywho, this is the parents' first batch, so I'm anxious for more.

Thanks for the gift!

0 Not allowed!
    The fry should be fine. When you said 'feeders' did you mean an autofeeder or one of those feeder blocks? Some feeder blocks can mess up the water quality fairly quickly. I use auto feeders on several of my tanks, they drop a certain amount of flakes or pellets each day. Some feeders drop food every 12hr, others you can set the time for when they drop food. It's a good investment I think, makes my life easier and keeps the fish on a regular daily feeding for when I'm not at home. Work great for when you go on vacation as well, they can hold a few weeks of food easily in them.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We have three autofeeders. We were going to use 2 on our largest tanks but couldn't figure out where to use the third... That's a great idea, thanks for reminding me! The rest of the tanks, we will use feeder blocks. Man, I forgot we had a third automatic feeder! :)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Congratulations on the new additions to your Fish Family