· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I do consider it research to a point.There is a difference in coming here because I have a problem that needs a quick answer, and coming here to have others do your research for you. Most of the time people just want quick answers, and sometimes that is what is needed. However, if everyone just came here and we all had nice conversations about what we already know, how will we expand our knowledge. We wont. We will become stagnant. The information in this hobby expands daily, there are always new ways to do things and new information out there, but we have to go looking for it to learn it. I have been in this hobby for 40 years and I still learn new things. It would be an injustice to new people to take that discovery and learning away from them.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199   Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1   Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1   lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA   Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I think google can be a useful tool to help someone in some cases, such as the person coming along saying "I have symptoms X, Y, Z. What is it?" and "My fish looks like ______." with no photo and it could be a handful of fish.

If you give them some possible suggestions and ask them to google for images to compare, then its useful to both parties involved. You are helping them narrow their search from "white spot on fish" and "orange fish" to something more useful.

Where it works less well is when the person is asking "how do I cycle" and getting "google it"

So its a line, but I don't think just saying telling someone to google it is always a negative thing.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with all of this.As a new jm here i have been learning alot.Before i came here i was googleing things and that is how i found the ac.So i thank every 1 fore their knowledge and wisdom.
    fishguy420

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishguy420
    I agree with all of this.As a new jm here i have been learning alot.Before i came here i was googleing things and that is how i found the ac.So i thank every 1 fore their knowledge and wisdom.

Thats the best piece of research you ever did.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I search Google constantly. I like second and third opinions. I look things up all the time. Search different kinds of fish, check to see the area they come from, check to see their growth expectancy.....in several areas. Look up plants, etc.

If I was to ask every question I have here in AC, I would have 20 threads a day full of dumb questions that I can look up myself in 10 minutes. It's all in learning no matter where you learn it.

And yes, at times we do get short with question that seem totally obvious. We ALL have done that more than once?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Beautiful tank! - gabbyguppy   I love that show - Pele   Thanks for the nomination, and recognizing fine art when you see it  :-) - Cliff   I give these to friends only. - smaug   For my comments on your betta, but no way was I buying you one, even on AC ;-P - ScottishFish   

0 Not allowed!
    Haha, im with hobbs. I search google constantly. I even made a thread in the past about how I search google in the store from my phone, and I wasn't the only one.

One thing I want to point out, maybe we should start advising on how to use google, not just that they should. Like what terms to search for and the best results to click. "Teach a man to fish" and all that...
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Holiday Ham comes ones a year... to bring you a pig size share of holiday cheer! - Trillianne   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalJenemba

One thing I want to point out, maybe we should start advising on how to use google, not just that they should. Like what terms to search for and the best results to click. "Teach a man to fish" and all that...

Good point FJ. Whenever I am wondering about a certain fish, I google it's name followed by the word "profile". There are several sites that I look at to see their care requirements. I like to compare three or four because inaccuracies are sometimes found.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    IMO, When responding to questions, we should use appropriate language and try to be helpful, but I also think is reasonable to suggest that people do there own research. The best thing people can do would be to gather info from multiple sources, consider the validity of those sources, and come to a conclusion on their own. But if you still need help after researching, or want a second opinion, or want a specific suggestion, then that is when our forum members can be most efficient and most helpful. And many times people can find answers by digging into old archive forums and looking at previous conversations.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't see people get brow-beat either. Many of us are here for hours and hours each day because we like helping people. But if we are asked our opinion, I think they deserve an honest one. We can either give them the answer they want to hear to make them happy or we can try to help them save their fish.

Anyone who tells anyone here they have a low IQ has their posted edited, given a warning or is banned. That's flaming in this forum and not tolerated.
    The only people who talk to others like that join here with an attitude and leave shortly afterwards with a bigger one. :)

Great thread, tho. Every person above has written some interesting things.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I don't see people get brow-beat either. Many of us are here for hours and hours each day because we like helping people. But if we are asked our opinion, I think they deserve an honest one. We can either give them the answer they want to hear to make them happy or we can try to help them save their fish.

Anyone who tells anyone here they have a low IQ has their posted edited, given a warning or is banned. That's flaming in this forum and not tolerated.
    The only people who talk to others like that join here with an attitude and leave shortly afterwards with a bigger one. :)

Great thread, tho. Every person above has written some interesting things.
    Im not here as much as you LH but I see the browbeating happening all the time. Im not reffering to just the "have you googled it responses either"

Im not saying members shouldnt google,Im saying the attitude of getting huffy about it if they didnt needs to go away. Not one of us needs to be here nor do you need to answer a question.If you do choose to answer a question then simply answer it with the info you have EXPERIANCE with or let it go. We have gotten very strident here.This isnt a job,if you dont enjoy giving helpful advice directly to the question answered then maybe you should just let it slide?
    Last edited by smaug; 07-25-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast