· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Pond Snails??

1. Default Pond Snails??

0 Not allowed!

Hi, my name is Henners and I am new member,
    and I have a question for the Forum.

I have a over abundant population of pond snails in my tropical aquarium, I think I know how they arrived ( live plants), and in my tank at the moment I have an Albino Pleco and a Gourami. My question is, I have purchsed a new tank, what is the best way to transfer my fish to the new tank, firstly without causing them too much stress and secondly without transfering the snails with them. Any help on this matter would be grately appreciated.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Since this is a new tank, is the filter cycled? If it isn't, I suggest you take those fish back until you fishless cycle the tank first. As for the snails, you could dip the plants into an alum dip and it'll kill off all the snails. I'm not entirely sure how the process goes, but maybe another member can share their experiences to help ya out.
    Empty 125g sitting in my shed
    55g Freshwater Tropical Community
    29g Convict Fry Growout Tank
    10g Freshwater Planted Tropical Community
    5g Freshwater Planted Dirt
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

3. Default Pond Snails

0 Not allowed!
    THANKS FOR THE REPLY, BUT MY NEW FISHTANK WILL HAVE EVERYTHING NEW IN IT, APART FROM THE 2 FISH, SO ITS THE TRANSFER FROM 1 TANK TO ANOTHER THAT CONCERNS ME, IE STRESS TO FISH AND TRANSFER OF SNAIL EGGS.

0 Not allowed!
    Your first concern should be the fishless cycle. Since everything is new there are no beneficial bacteria in your tank to help the fish survive. The two fish you have will not survive the tank cycle, unless you do about a 50% water change everyday for 2 to 3 month it is a lot of work. Look up Fishless Cycle and read up on it so you will understand whats happening.
    Roll the Dice!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i wouldn't sweat the transfer of snail/snail eggs from from tank to the other if you are only moving the fish. obviously, the stress to the fish in a new tank is one matter. but snails lay their eggs on the glass and on leaves, not on fish. therefore, the fish have an extremely low probability of harboring any eggs during the trip.

if you notice snails in the new aquarium, i'd be amazed...but if you do, you can catch the problem quickly and kill any of the new snails you find by grabbing them out of the tank, crushing them, and then flushing them or throwing them away. i doubt the population will sustain itself if you do that. i noticed snails all over my tank once, probably one for every gallon of water in my 20g, and i have gotten the snail population down to like 1 or 2 just with some judicious plucking out of those i found
    Last edited by yarrrmatey; 07-27-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    I will be nice to people trying to help me from now on.