· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default I have a question about the African Dwarf Frog.

0 Not allowed!
    I am working on a community stocking plan for either a 4 foot 90 gallon tank, or a 6 foot 180 gallon tank depending on how many different species I introduce, and I would like to add at the least 2 African Dwarf Frogs. However, I need to know if the frogs are compatible with the other species of fish I have already decided to introduce.

1) Albino Cory / 3 inches / very peaceful - school of 6
    2) Congo Tetra / 3 inches / peaceful - school of 6
    3) African Butterfly Cichlid / 3 inches / peaceful - "harem" school 1 male/3 female

Please let me know your experience, or knowledge based thoughts. If your answer is no then please let me know why. I will not compromise my Albino Cory, but I might consider a different Tetra, or Cichlid. I really like the choices I have made so far especially the Congo Tetra, but I believe that several frogs will add a level of variety to the community that different fish species can not.

-Robert P. Lewis

0 Not allowed!
    Both of those tanks are too large for ADF's. An ADF should not be housed in a tank that is over the height of your average 20 gallon long. They are not good swimmers, and require to get to the surface several times an hour to get oxygen. They breathe surface air, and an inability to get to the surface, or struggling to get to the surface will stress them and eventually kill them.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, now I am really confused. Please do not get me wrong, I am not saying that you are wrong. To be honest I asked this question because I did not know the answer. However, the information that you have provided conflicts with the other information that I have come across. The only reason that I am considering the African Dwarf Frog is because I read that it was fully aqautic, and a vigorous swimmer. Yet, if what you say is right than there will be no African Dwarf Frog in my aquarium.

I am at a loss... I have two sources that are providing me with conflicting information. Can anyone else help clarify for me which is accurate. I do want an African Dwarf Frog, but I will not get one if it's inclusion is a death sentence.

-Robert P. Lewis

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_dwarf_frog
    http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id13.html
    http://frogworld.net/african-dwarf-frog/

^^^^^^+1 to Tiari, as I too, have also heard this about shallow tanks for housing adf. These are the first few sites that popped up when I googled "african dwarf frog care" and they also agree.

0 Not allowed!
    A deep tank poses two problems to an ADF. The stress and inability to reach the surface for air, and the difficulty to feed them. In a community tank, since ADF's are nearly blind and find food by smell, companions in the tank will likely eat any food placed in for them before they even know its there. Community tank ADF's should be hand fed using various methods, and the deeper the tank, the more difficult this is.

My ADF is in a 20 gallon regular community tank, and after two years of having him and observation, I am sure he'd have a rough time in anything deeper than this. Feeding him, even in the 20 gallon proves a challenge to get to him at times. With the other occupants, there is never anything left for him to scavenge so requires routine target feeding.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for your responses, and I imagine that I will not be introducing an ADF to my community aquarium. This is why you keep looking for answers to your questions even after you find "the answer." Because you never know if the first source you encounter is correct.

-Robert P. Lewis

0 Not allowed!
    Exactly - your best bet is to find a forum like this with people who have actual experience with what you are looking to do.

There IS conflicting advice on the web and you will also get misinformation from LFS employees as well as the packaging that some aquatic products come with.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 3 ADF's in a 20 gallon long. Sometimes they struggle to get to the surface, they would not survive in a deeper tank.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I could never see my frogs surviving in a tank that big. They sometimes look like they arent gonna make it when they are just going to the top of my 10gal. The highest a african dwarf frog can live in easily is 20", but thats really pushing it. My LFS keeps them in a huge 55gal and they struggle very much to reach the top in there.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything