· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Am rehoming Shubbie tonight ...

0 Not allowed!
    I am rehoming my large Shubunkin this evening. The lady with the pond is bringing out a large (5-gallon) bucket with a tight-fitting lid. I'll be siphoning water from my 65-gallon tank into it and netting out greedy Shubbie for the ride home. This gal lives in town only about 15-minutes away. I went to her residence (with her consent) to look at her pond. It's 3 1/2 feet deep, about 10 feet long and 6 feet wide. She has the water constantly running through an ultraviolet light filter to keep algae from forming, and the water is always moving. Pond is packed with healthy lily pads (that have just finished blooming) and other pond reeds. Several small goldies are in it, too. She adds no chemicals. Water is nice and clear and the other fish can be easily seen.

I've instructed her on acclimating Shubbie by gradually adding her pond water to the tank water in the bucket -- for about a half-hour or so before releasing him into his new home.

They only feed those fish once a week, so Shubbie will have quite an adjustment to make, seeing what a hog he has been. Insects do land on the pond's surface, and I'm sure there are other natural food sources available between feedings.

In the winter, the pond freezes except for a tiny opening where the water still runs liquid. Fish metabolisims go way down during this season, and they stop feeding them.

Shubbie should be quite happy, there. He is getting too large for my 65-gallon tank, and I also suspect he has been snacking on some of my glofish danios.

The beneficial bacteria in my tank will have less to feed upon, so I'll need to transfer some glofish from my 20 into my 65 to keep the BB from starving.

Is this a lucky Shubunkin, or not? Feedback, anyone?

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, sounds like a great move for Shubbie. I'm sure he will be right happy in his new home.
    glad you were able to find him such a wonderful place to live out his many years to come.
    Someday, when I have all the fish tanks I want, I hope to be featured on an episode of animal hoarders.

Received some great advice? Be sure to show your appreciation by giving rep points! Click the scale on the upper right of that wonderful post and tell someone

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like he is a Lucky Fish.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Luckiest fish ever
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a lucky goldfish. My husband and I have talked if we ever want goldfish we will need a pond first. Good for you for moving him.

0 Not allowed!
    Shubbie will be delighted, and will likely take to the natural habitat right away.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    It's done. They came and got him.

They said I could come by their place anytime and see how he's doing, and enjoy their pond.

I suggested they let him settle in awhile before feeding him. He got fed this morning, anyway.

Happy currents, Shubbie . . .

-- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

0 Not allowed!
    Good for you to find him an even better home altho the home he had sounded pretty good. Soon he will have lots of friends, lots of bugs to eat and be a very happy fella indeed.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Its a real punch in the Gut isnt it, when you do something like that with an animal or fish once you get so attached to them. even though its in there best interest. I am sure he will be ok and have a happy life