· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default Thank you!

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you. You sure seem to know ur fish stuff. :) I will research the python thing....lol...however the syphon thing I use now works pretty good....I blame most of the waste on the pleco and he is my main reason for wanting a bigger tank rather than try and "rehome" him.
    And OOPSIES haha I have 2 cherry barbs, not tetras. :P But I think you are right on keeping the froggies in their 5.5 gallon. They seem really cozy in there. Think it's be ok to add a small fish in their with them, like a guppy or two? Or just the froggies since it's so small. Anyway, thanks.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    5g isn't much room for most fish. A betta would work perfect in there...most are okay with frogs but it always depends on the fish...worth the risk if you find a store that allows returns.

Maybe a guppy would be okay...they are big waste producers but don't need a huge amount of space, so one or two might work, but no more than that. I'd get a second opinion, lol.

Snails are an option, too.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For a Common Pleco you need to have at least a 75 gallon tank.
    10 Gallon Nano Tank

4. Default So, how big does the pleco really grow?

0 Not allowed!
    I do not know for sure "what type" of Pleco he is....I inherited him. I am looking at opgrading to a 55 gallon tank this week. He is already about a foot, maybe slightly smaller. I thought that would be plenty. Now I see the post about a 75 gallon tank and I am thrown off. What size "should" he be?
    My guess is he is about 5 years old (originally I thpought 7 years but was wrong).

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlubber
    I do not know for sure "what type" of Pleco he is....I inherited him. I am looking at opgrading to a 55 gallon tank this week. He is already about a foot, maybe slightly smaller. I thought that would be plenty. Now I see the post about a 75 gallon tank and I am thrown off. What size "should" he be?
    A tank he can barely turn around in is not big enough no matter how big he should be. That is an unanswerable question anyway lol.

Common Plecos can get massive when not restricted by their environment:
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default Whoa!

0 Not allowed!
    That's an awesome pic! LOL I know...ever since I got the tank I have wanted to get a bigger one for the pleco to "blossom". Hope his growth hasn't been to "stunted"...not sure how all that works, but I'd love to see him grow in a bigger tank. Like I said....right now I am looking at at least a 55 gallon. At least it will be better than what he is in now.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A 55 will help aot, it would be very uncommon for a plec to attain the size of the one in the pic posted if it were to be brought up in an aquarium.Its not just the size of the tank that holds them back its the fact that in the wild they have a constant supply of food and a total turnover of new water every day. If you have room for a 75 gallon they are deeper front to back and allow much more room for a big fish to feel at ease in.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This year I've personally seen three "plecs" that took up about a quarter of the tank. All were sold as 5cm fish and all were kept in decent sized tanks in the 200-400 litre class. The lady were I bought my daughter's cherry shrimp told me that they'd bought their monster "plec" 3 years ago. The one at my dentist's went from tiny to hefty in 2 years and to tankbuster in another 18 months.

In an established aquarium there will be algae to graze on. There's often fallen flake for the protein needs. Wood will often be there as well. Quite a few people will feed their "plecs" vegetable which is often available.
    3 potted plants and 6 strings of plastic do not make a planted tank!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishlubber
    the filter I have I believe is a whisper? It's a size "large" and I change it at leasssssst once a month. Sometimes every 2 weeks when I do the syphoning. Was even debating adding a second filter....any recommendations on adding a second?

Thanks everyone.
    Everyone gave you very good advice about your tank size - I would like to emphasize the advice given about your filter - there is no need to "change" the filter media - you do not need to replace any media at all because as was stated before, all the good stuff - beneficial bacteria - is in your media - you do not want to get rid of it.

If it gets really gunky and affects your water flow and you can't seem to get it clean even in used tank water, then it's best to put new media (whether a cartridge or sponges, etc.) in with the old stuff until the bacteria grows on the new stuff (it takes several weeks) - at that point you can get rid of the old media.

However, keep in mind that either overfeeding or fish that produce lots of waste (like the pleco) will contribute to this, hence, getting better filtration is in your best interest.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wijnands
    This year I've personally seen three "plecs" that took up about a quarter of the tank. All were sold as 5cm fish and all were kept in decent sized tanks in the 200-400 litre class. The lady were I bought my daughter's cherry shrimp told me that they'd bought their monster "plec" 3 years ago. The one at my dentist's went from tiny to hefty in 2 years and to tankbuster in another 18 months.

In an established aquarium there will be algae to graze on. There's often fallen flake for the protein needs. Wood will often be there as well. Quite a few people will feed their "plecs" vegetable which is often available.
    That's remarkable growth,I would love to see pictures. Btw,a plec would starve to death in any of my tanks if all it gor were algae and leftovers!