· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Stocking advice

1. Question Stocking advice

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,
    I would appreciate any advice. I am a novice, but I read a lot.
    I have a 10 gallon freshwater tank, 2 feet long by 1 foot wide. Neutral gravel, pump, airstone, 3 fake plants, 50% water change every 2-3 weeks, temp 78, current nitrate/nitrite/alkalinity/water hardness all within normal range on test strips.
    Currently only 2 blackskirt tetras.
    Feeding omega one shrimp pellets and occasional top fin algae wafers.

I used to have 2 cories and 2 gouramis for about 1 year, but I think the black skirts were picking on them and they died (fins chewed etc).
    Not much luck with keeping aquatic plants alive.

From what I have read, the best suggestion would be to get more black skirt tetras as they do best in a group of 4-5 before adding other fish? Do you agree?
    Honestly with a small tank I'm not sure I WOULD add more fish if I got more black skirt tetras (not enough room in the tank?).

Do you recommend I keep trying to grow aquatic plants - any suggestions on types and how I can get them to stay alive?!

Any advice appreciated.
    Thank you.

0 Not allowed!
    What is the height of this tank because [with those dimensions] unless it is only 8" high it is a 20G tank not a 10G.

You have not mentioned your lighting [Hard to answer a plant question without all the details.]

No mention of your filtration either, Please tell us what you have running there.

Your Water changes [WC] need to be weekly, This will improve your stocks chances for survival.

Please get an API liquid test kit, The strips are uselessly inaccurate and also ineffective because they do not test for ammonia.

Black skirt would prefer a group larger than four or five but we need to determine the actual size of your tank first.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your reply.
    My tank is: 10 inches x 10 inches x 19 inches (8-10 gallons)
    Lighting is 2 15W/120V incandescent aquarium clear light bulbs by aqua culture
    Filtration is aqua tech (cheap walmart brand) 5-15 power filter with biofiber and activated carbon filters
    I use prime with every water change.

I will start doing weekly water changes - 25% weekly would you say?
    I will also get the API liquid test kit.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, Thanks :-D

8.2G - Got it.

Does the heat from the incandescent bulbs affect the water temp? Is there a heater?

IMO 8.2G is too small for any group of blackskirts, You would be much better suited with smaller tetras, Rasbora or possibly shrimp.

Personally, I am a fan of 40% WC at a minimum.

Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again!

Currently no heater, the heat from the bulbs definitely helps to heat the tank, it stays between 69-80 degrees (depending on the season in MA).

Will consider small tetras, rasbora or maybe shrimp. I'd probably just choose one group and start there. Any advantages/disadvantages to each? Small tetras I could get 5 or 6, right? How many rasboro would you add at first?

Obviously I'll get get the api kit and test with that first, if nitrate/nitrate/ammonia levels are all right should I go ahead?
    Also- how often should I be tested the water- and when in relation to water changes?

Should I even bother with plants or just wait until I can update to a bigger tank?

Thanks again! Really appreciate your help.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    You really need a heater. Fluctuating temperatures affect fish in a very negative way and rapid fluctuation can shock them into illness or even death. The inconsistent water temp is opening your fish up to disease - notably ick -which you do not want - and neither do your fishies.
    A small heater (get one that you can control the temp, not a preset one) will not cost much and may save you money in the long run and make it so much better for the fish. Set it so your tank is a constant 78 degrees (most tetras do well in that temp but do check each species on line to make certain). Also make certain when you change your water that the new, treated water you use to replace the old is the same temperature as your tank water.
    Good luck with everything. You've gotten solid advice on getting an API test kit and on your W/C.
    I'll let others with more experience guide you on the number of fish - but with a tank that small, you have very limited space. Small tank, small fish and small numbers.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 07-22-2012 at 10:14 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    +1
    One group is an excellent route to take, Whatever you like the look of and is small will be fine :-D.
    Small planted tanks can look awesome but it's entirely up to you, The fish will certainly appreciate cover of some sort.

I totally agree that this tank needs a heater for consistency [For the reasons mentioned].

I would also add that you need to replace those lights because the temp fluctuations that they cause will continue as they will heat up the water when on [Above the heater set temp] and then it will cool to the heater temp when the lights are off.

This leaves you in the same situ you have now -> Unstable temps.

Decide if you want plants and then your lighting decision can be made after.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 07-22-2012 at 10:23 PM.