· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Pumpkin Seed Sunfish

0 Not allowed!
    I recently caught a beautiful small pumpkin seed sunfish, about the size of a .50 piece. He is the only sunfish in the aquarium. There is also three small minnows, a top minnow, a few rainbow darters, and 3 small crayfish.
    My sunfish eats fine, on a diet of tilapia scraps. I ordered some brine shrimp so I can feed him live food.
    The only thing is, I have had him for about two weeks and he just hides behind the filter and now in the top corner (since i got a new filter).
    He only comes out when I feed him and then he just goes and hides again.
    Am i doing something wrong. I knew he would take some time to re-adjust , but he seems to hate it in there.
    I have added many live plants to try and make him comfortable and i change the water on a regular basis.
    Is there a way to get him to stop sulking? Does he need a sunfish friend? Or should I just take him back to his home?

0 Not allowed!
    Heads up: It is very likely not legal to return him to the wild due to the risk of contamination.

What tank size is this? Please also post your parameters.

Did you maintain your media when you switched filters?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I never thought about releasing him as not being legal. thanks
    It is a ten gallon. Im worried that it might be to small, but it isnt crowded, and my sunfish is very small. Honestly when I look over at it right now i only see my top minnow. It looks empty, besides the plants.
    Yes, I just changed the filter and moved some rocks around. but other than that everything has been consistent.
    I have a 20 gallon tall tank. Should i set that tank up?

0 Not allowed!
    There is more to stocking than 'Does it look crowded'

IMO neither is big enough for a sunfish, Consider the body of water he came out of and the fact that they are active fish, Go bigger.

Please be specific: When you say you changed the filter do you mean:

You replaced one with an entirely new one and none of the old filter is involved in the process at all any more?

How long has this tank been set up? Are you familiar with cycling a tank?
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What size tank is the suitable for 1 sunfish and few minnows?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Natallis
    What size tank is the suitable for 1 sunfish and few minnows?
    This fish is feeling insecure because it is in a much smaller vessel of water at a very fixed temperature, has a limited feed profile and now has a big shadow by it all of the time. (you)

It is popular to keep our domestic wild sun fish in Europe as they do have very nice coloration. I would say a proper sized tank for two or three sunfish would be a 55 gallon tank.

In most states it is not legal to return a fish that has been captured and housed in an aquarium to the wild waters. he fear is that the fish may ingest antibiotics or chemicals or carry a disease and that this would cause any number of problems. I would hate to see a DNR guy catch you replacing this little guy into the wild and get a big fine for having a big heart.

0 Not allowed!
    That's a really good question, It's even better when you ask it before you get one.

I do not know. I've never considered getting one so I never researched it. If I needed to research it I would start with google while waiting for answers to be posted here.

BTW - The filter questions were not rhetorical but are relevant.