Hi there,

I am new to the forum. I have had many aquariums over the years, but nothing over 20 gals, and its been a number of years since my last tank, but I have finally saved up the $ to try & do my dream aquarium I've been wanting to do for quite a while now!

So I went out and got the aquarium, stand, gravel, & some other basics today. It's a 60 gal, 48" long, 12.5" wide, 26" tall, with stand it is almost 58" tall..

I am setting it up as a free standing aquarium, as a sort of room divider between my closet/dressing area (i have no real closet in my room) and the actual bedroom part. My room is carpeted. The stand leans forward a bit, with nothing on it. With the aquarium on it, it is a little more stable, but still a bit front heavy. I live in San Francisco, so I wanted to do a little earthquake stabilization anyway, before getting too far in this project...

Before I even put the gravel & water in, I was thinking of screwing some L bars in to the back of the stand, and then into the floor, in hopes of just stabilizing it, in general. (any other suggestions much appreciated!) I am not really sure what other sorts of things I can do in order to "earthquake proof" this large glass beast! Does anyone out there have any experience or ideas on this??

Esp. trying to figure out how to stabilize the actual tank to the stand, once the stand is reinforced onto the floor..

Any advice on free standing aquariums, in general???

I would really value any input anyone has! Thanks!

here is a link to the tank + stand just purchased, so you can see what I'm working with: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3Bamp%3B+Bowls

Cheers,
Miss Wildstar*