· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for keeping healthy fish - Lady Hobbs   good job - Lady Hobbs   For keeping beautiful killies! Great job! - koaladarshana   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - es31710   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - es31710   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - es31710   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - es31710   

Default Cannot stress this enough

0 Not allowed!
    Pleco's belong in 20 gallon or larger tanks!!! I cannot stress this enough. So many people come on here and say can I keep a pleco in a ten gallon. The answer will be no. Please read up on pleco's before buying them. I hear people say all the time the Standard length for a Bristlenose is 4-5 inches. Which in reality it should be 6-7 inches. Please research if you want a pleco.

The 20 gallon mentioned above is NOT for common pleco's that are the most available. This only applies to the small variety. Commons do best in 75+ gallons.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 07-26-2012 at 07:31 PM.
    10 Gallon Nano Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

- korith   you looked like you needed some fish - ddavis1979   

0 Not allowed!
    I work at Petsmart and I see this maybe 5 times a day. I motion with my hands how big a common pleco gets. I tell them that their 3 inch pleco could possibly double in size in 3-6 months. And that when it does get that big, they'll either need a bigger tank or they should go on craigslist and give it away to someone with a bigger tank.

At least a third of them still walk out with one. My only silver lining is that I talked them down from getting three.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    There are very small pleco species...the Emperor, Candy, Clown, etc all being great choices. BN males do I agree hit 5-6" females tho rarely tip over 4". Still too much for a 10G or even 20G. Otos are much better choices for small tanks.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I couldn't even put corys in 20 gallons.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Clown pleco size?

0 Not allowed!
    I was advised at the pet store yesterday that the clown pleco will only reach around 4"... I'm hoping this is accurate? I have a 29g tank. Not in direct sunlight obviously but the surfaces have started to collect a little algae so I want something in there that will snack on it. Actually I hope he has enough to eat, I'll probably have to throw a couple algae wafers in there. I'm wondering if I made a bad choice as I also purchased a YoYo loach that from what I was told could reach that size or even bigger? Both the clown pleco and the loach are only about 2 inches long or less right now. Epic fishbuying fail?
    29 gal community
    sunset and golden sailfin mollies (14-15 fry born 6/12/13)
    marbled and black angels
    albino corys
    neon tetras
    yoyo loach
    clown pleco

5 furbabies: miniature dachshund, golden retriever, mutt, and 2 cats :)

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    Clown plecos need driftwood in the tank, the vast majority of their diet comes from rasping wood. YoYo loaches need to be in a group...and IMO a 29G is not large enough for them as they reach 6" and need a 4ft tank. The Clown Pleco will only grow to 4".

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the response. When I started looking at my tank more today and reading up on the pleco and loach, it looks like I did make a mistake getting those 2. I don't have driftwood for the pleco. I'm not really against driftwood, I'm just unsure whenever adding natural stuff to my tank (how stupid does that sound?!) The last time I added real plants (that I thought I washed well), I got an invasion of snails. Makes me nervous. So besides some natural lava rock that I forced myself to put in there, everything else is man-made.
    As far as the loach goes, I LOVE him. But I can't see keeping a fish that while cute and small now will get that big. Hitting myself now for making an impulse purchase on the advice of the pet store dude. I know better. And now I have to see if they'll take them back. I know I don't have the receipt. I wonder if my local fish guy will take them... there goes $20 and 2 cool fish! Ugh :(
    29 gal community
    marbled and black angels
    albino corys
    neon tetras
    yoyo loach
    clown pleco

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Driftwood is safer than painted resin based stuff. You can boil driftwood...removes most tannins and anything nasty. Do buy wood intended for aquarium use if you want to be extra cautious. The snails incident is very common, you can avoid that in the future by soaking the plants for a brief time in potassium permanganate. It kills snails, bacteria, and most algae. Do wear gloves with it as it will stain anything it touches. No need to ditch the pleco...just buy him a piece of wood

Their are loaches intended for your tank size, dwarf zebra hovering loaches are an excellent option. As are kuhli loaches.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, maybe I'll look into getting some driftwood this weekend if I decide to keep the pleco. I don't ever SEE him! He hides in the lava rock caves. I'm really sad about the yoyo loach though. He is all over the tank and just fun to watch, not to mention beautiful. Ah well, it happens I guess. Learning experience. :(
    29 gal community
    marbled and black angels
    albino corys
    neon tetras
    yoyo loach
    clown pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Yes indeed! Great post[er]. - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone selling clowloaches should display this:

I just bought three"plecos" for my 70 liter tank. Did my research and found Ancistrus Claro, the smallest bristlenose I could get. 70mm fully grown. Even though it's heavily planted and has plenty of shelter I quite often see at least one.
    3 potted plants and 6 strings of plastic do not make a planted tank!