· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: CA/SA Tank

1. Default CA/SA Tank

0 Not allowed!
    So in my 55, I currently have a firemouth, blue acara, and rainbow cichlid along with some bloodfins, panda cories, and a bristlenose.

A quick history. When I started the tank in April, I had 15 bloodfins. I noticed a slight dip in the population, but I had only removed 1 bloodfin from the tank. As a result, I added four more a couple weeks ago bringing the number back to 15 or 16. When I attempted to count them last night, I only counted 13 or 14. Counting is not easy when they are schooling! Overall, all the fish in the tank look and behave healthy and to this date, I have only removed the one bloodfin.

If the cichlids are enjoying themselves on the bloodfins, I'm hesitant to continue populating the tank with them. With a big enough school I thought they would be fast enough to safely keep them with the cichlids and I have never seen the cichlids harass them. The current cichlids chase each other a bit, but escape unharmed. The rainbow is generally the instigator.

So finally to my question. If I decided against continually repopulating the bloodfins, is there a fourth cichlid that I could add to this tank? Would this help or harm any aggression issues in the tank. Clearly I know it CAN be done, but SHOULD it be done. Thanks.
    55g: Planted Tank: Firemouth, Blue Acara, Rainbow Cichlid, 15 Bloodfin Tetras, and 8 Panda Cories

45g Planted Tank: 2 Koi Angelfish, 19 Rummy Nose Tetras, and 6 Green Cories

20g Planted Tank: 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 Peppered Cories, and 8 Amano Shrimp

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, with that many fish in the tank, I don't think you should add another cichlid to curb the aggression. There isn't enough territory. Each of the cichlid you have likes to stay in the middle to bottom of the aquarium.

Also, with just the 3 cichlids, you have pushed past the 55g limits.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How aggressive is that acara?Just wondering,because every blue I have owned had quite an aggression problem.Being that the cories (pandas are small),do not like to be harassed.If you FINagled the stock a little then why not make a pair of rainbow cichlids.They have been known to spawn in fully stocked aquariums,with spawn survivability.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Of the three cichlids, the Acara is the most chill with the Rainbow being the aggressor. To be honest, I want to avoid breeding, which is why I went with one of each as opposed to aiming for a cichlid pairing.

As to adding a fourth, I know its not ideal and not one that I'm legimately considering. Was more curious about it in truth.
    55g: Planted Tank: Firemouth, Blue Acara, Rainbow Cichlid, 15 Bloodfin Tetras, and 8 Panda Cories

45g Planted Tank: 2 Koi Angelfish, 19 Rummy Nose Tetras, and 6 Green Cories

20g Planted Tank: 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 Peppered Cories, and 8 Amano Shrimp

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumshoe218
    Of the three cichlids, the Acara is the most chill with the Rainbow being the aggressor.
    Wow,that is quite interesting,it just goes to show every experience is different.