· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default I Found Dwarf Chain Loaches Locally!

0 Not allowed!
    So I finally found a solution for my desire to have loaches but the problem of a smaller tank. Dwarf Chain Loaches. But then of course, the fun of finding them. Apparently no where online ever ships to Canada (possible exaggeration but it feels like fact). The only LFS I'd discovered up to this point is kind of icky, dimly lit, not clean, total disaster... but even they didn't stock them. The guy at the counter suggested Clown Loaches as "basically the same thing."

After two days of searching online I found a fish store in downtown Vancouver, about an hour and a bit of a drive away. They're called Aquariums West and oh my gosh they are just the most amazing store EVER. It's clean and organized like a big box store, but stocked like a LFS. All the employees are fish tank owners with years of experience and most were customers before becoming employees. Super helpful, friendly and I just adore this store. AAAND, they stock Dwarf Chain Loaches. So last night I drove down and picked up my new fishies. They were even on sale!

The Barbs were a little shocked to discover intruders in their big tank but they quickly learned to share and just leave the Loaches alone now. The Loaches settled very quickly into the new tank, faster than the Barbs did. Took them about an hour and the five of them were shoaling all over the place! Great active little fish, I'm looking forward to watching them grow (but not too much lol)

0 Not allowed!
    Good for you finding these. I never see them around my parts but then, I never find anything around my parts.

:(

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I was talking to the sales guy about how ppl on forums complain how they're hard to find. He said they always have lots in stock. They seem like a phenomenal store, I'm sooo happy. Totally worth the 2h round trip!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They are so cute. We have considered them too but the only place that has them here uses a high percentage of ro water and acclimating just hasnt worked for us.

Good luck.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nice looking little Loaches

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. They're settling in pretty well although they like to hang out behind all the plants. Paranoid fish-mommy that I am keep squeezing back to count them and make sure they're all doing ok!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I want them but the cheapest ones are 15 dollars. I need to ask my boss to stock them since I get a discount.

0 Not allowed!
    They're a really nice little loach! Don't ya love how people in LFSs just try to sell you anything!? "Oh, this is basically the same". they'll say. Never mind that the "basically the same fish" will grow to 150 pounds and feed a family of 10!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are you describing the bamboo goby?

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny 
    Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I had four of these before the prices went through the roof. Always liked the way they schooled. Wish I'd bought more.

I red they are nearly gone in the wild and thats why the prices have gone up so much.