· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default OK - we messed up and now need to fix it.

0 Not allowed!
    The crabs are dead. We liked them immensely. The Balas and the Barbs we bought will have to have a new, much, much larger tank bought for them.

We're going to do that ASAP and want to turn over the 15 gallon tank to more Fiddler Crabs. So, I have major questions: What am I looking for in a tank for (currently, going to add at least one more of each) 4 Bala Sharks and 4 Tiger Barbs? Accessories, too. We also would like suggestions on a colorful tank mate (fish) and a replacement for the poorly chosen and ill-fated Fiddler Crabs (really like invertabrates.) -AND- Same for setting up a tank for future Fiddlers. Have the tank, need suggestions on accessories, equipment, decorations and tank mates.

We're both spontaneous people (my husband very much so!) So I'm trying for a ClifNotes version in hopes I can educate myself before he puts his credit card to work.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 07-16-2012 at 07:07 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I deleted your personal information from here unless you want spammers to get it. Questions are asked here and people return to get the answers they are searching for.

But bala sharks don't belong in any tank unless it is HUGE. The are schooling fish so like to be in groups but they grow very large, are very rambunctious swimmers and known to slam into decorations and the glass walls of tanks. Also big jumpers. This link will give you an idea of how big they really can get.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/10645...33164709VSnZqp

By HUGE tank, I really mean huge. Not a 100 gallon nor a 200 but a big, big tank.

I don't know what could have happened to your crabs unless the tank was not cycled. Links in my signature to help with that.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Lady Hobbs. Bala sharks will need, at minimum 400 gal+. Why pet stores sell them is beyond me.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also, your tiger barbs need a school of 6 MINIMUM or they will be terrors to themselves and others.

I would suggest giving up on the bala sharks and looking for an appropriately sized fish.

A 30g would be recommended as a minimum for a tiger barb school.

Once you get your tank sorted out, then we can help more with stocking. Get the biggest you can afford/accomodate!
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fiddlers need brackish water! And land! Dont get fiddlers unless yer commited to having a land water brackish tank and they love things like crickets and stuff, ive had my fidllers and some brack guppies and java ferns for over a week year super fun they also love sand and caves underwater to molt in
    10gx2 brackish & applesnail grow out
    60gx2 - Crayfish snail male guppy holder/yabby craw
    75g (long) -red fin shark, golden angel fish Ghost shrimp neon tetras
    40x2 snail tank. / texas cichild

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Got the heads up on the fiddlers, thanks - not buying more until we can set up a tank specific for them.

Bought a 55 Gal tank for the balas/barbs - all my online research was saying that's more appropriate for their needs. Is that wrong? It's a big a$$ tank.

My plan for now is to get the 55 gal tank cycled and ready and then transfer the balas and barbs - maybe add a pleco or two.

Then the other tank will be emptied and reset with brackish water and some land (love the tip on the underwater caves, btw) and maybe a couple of small fast fish (would love suggestions there.)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishCrazyNovice
    Got the heads up on the fiddlers, thanks - not buying more until we can set up a tank specific for them.

Bought a 55 Gal tank for the balas/barbs - all my online research was saying that's more appropriate for their needs. Is that wrong? It's a big a$$ tank.

My plan for now is to get the 55 gal tank cycled and ready and then transfer the balas and barbs - maybe add a pleco or two.

Then the other tank will be emptied and reset with brackish water and some land (love the tip on the underwater caves, btw) and maybe a couple of small fast fish (would love suggestions there.)
    You have been given good info about what balas need and then tell us you got a 55 gallon for them,,,my my my. A 55 is hardly a big tank,thats more of a lower middle ground for many of the members here.
    dont stock fish with crabs unless they are to be feeders.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow - first of all - read up on this site before purchase - nothing in there said anything about 4 sharks being too much for a 55 gal tank. It recommended a 50 gal as a minimum. Got replies after and ASKED if that was wrong. My handle says it all - I'm a novice, posting on Beginner Freshwater, so, how exactly should I equate to the comment, "A 55 is hardly a big tank,thats more of a lower middle ground for many of the members here." Nevermind. I'll find someplace that doesn't bite my head off to get my answers.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Tiari and Lady Hobbs both said that balas need massive tanks, no matter how you put it a 55G is nowhere near the requirements. Not only do balas need large tanks for their body size but they are extremely active swimmers and so benefit from a 200G+ tank (roughly 6foot or larger in length).
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I should have been more clear. A 55 is hardly a big tank for balas and would not be considered a big tank to most of our members. That said,,,,,I disagree with quite a lot of the species profiles here at ac as most of the info in the profiles doesn't even jive with the advice our members give. But,,,you were given firsthand advice on the forum that balas should be kept in nothing short of huge 400 gallon tanks so the 55 is not going to cut it. I am giving actual experianced advice about the balas as I did keep one in a 55 and it was horrible for it because it was so strung out . Go elsewhere if you wish,the webs a big place and I'm sure you will find a site that will tell you what you want to hear.