· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Stock Recommendations??

0 Not allowed!
    Can anybody recommend some fish I can stock in my 27 gallon?

As of now I have:

4 cories
    8 Red Eye Tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram
    3 neons

I would up my neon school but I don't have luck with them. I had 15 at one time and now I'm down to 3. I would like something that moves a lot to get my red eyes out of hiding. Any suggestions? Maybe don't add any??
    27 gallon Marineland cube freshwater:
    4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I know how you feel with your red eyes, I started off with a noobs 'school' of 6, they are a very skittish fish, I now have 18. Nowadays they are perfectly comfortable and never hide.

Id recommend getting their numbers to around 12 and I promise you will see a difference I increased my school going from 6-9-13-18, the biggest behavioural change for me was definately the jump from 9-13.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Assuming you have given up on the neons and your tank is at least 3 ft long, then I recommend that you increase the red-eye tetra numbers to at least 10-15 and the Cory numbers to at least 8 of one species.

In the longer term, I would add a non-balloon blue ram of the opposite sex to the one you already have, and depending on the exact size of the tank, I would consider adding a female Bolivian ram.
    Kat
    stock list | main display tank | 60 litre Asian bio-tope (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KittyKat
    Assuming you have given up on the neons and your tank is at least 3 ft long, then I recommend that you increase the red-eye tetra numbers to at least 10-15 and the Cory numbers to at least 8 of one species.

In the longer term, I would add a non-balloon blue ram of the opposite sex to the one you already have, and depending on the exact size of the tank, I would consider adding a female Bolivian ram.

Unfortunately this is a cube tank and only 20 inches long. That is why I only have 4 cories. I did pick up two more red eyes just now. I'll hold that stock for a few days and pick up 2 more. I would pick up more Rams but at the moment, with the two red eyes I just added, Aqadvisor has me at 99% stock. After I add two more Red Eyes to bring my school up to 12 I think I'm fully stocked.
    27 gallon Marineland cube freshwater:
    4 Cory Catfish
    10 Red Eye Tetras
    4 neon tetras
    1 Balloon Ram
    1 Bolivian Ram

15 gallon brackish:
    1 Figure 8 Puffer

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilash
    Unfortunately this is a cube tank and only 20 inches long. That is why I only have 4 cories.
    A 20 inch cube will take 8-15 dwarf Corys without any problems, these include the species that I have listed at http://natureaquarium.co.uk/?page_id=278#sa-bottom

Basically, one should always keep corys in groups of at least 8-10 per species and it is the length of the tank that matters over the number. For example, a 24" tank cannot take even a single peppered Cory (70 mm SL), while a 46" tank can take 15+. In other words, if the species of Cory that you have is at all suitable to your tank, the tank can take the right number (other stocking allowing).

As a very rough guideline, I would consider the following for stocking:
    For a under 24", wide tanks - up to 35 mm standard length (SL - excluding tail)
    For 24" tanks - up to 40 mm SL
    For 36" tanks - up to 55 mm SL
    For 46+" tanks - any Cory

I did pick up two more red eyes just now. I'll hold that stock for a few days and pick up 2 more.
    The reason I was asking about the length of the tank is because Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae (red-eye tetra) grow to 70 mm (2.8 inches) SL and will be stunted in a tank as short as yours.

I would pick up more Rams but at the moment, with the two red eyes I just added, Aqadvisor has me at 99% stock. After I add two more Red Eyes to bring my school up to 12 I think I'm fully stocked.
    Please don't use that website: it is extremely inaccurate and a very poor stocking advisor. I have observed that it has caused users stocking problems and as a result fish deaths and suffering. Every time I have heard it mentioned has been in alongside poor stocking, I have never heard it mentioned alongside a good stock. For example, in my test of it, it let me put two fish in a tank when one will eat the other within a matter of minutes. It allowed me to put a fish in a tank that is so large that it would not be able to turn around in the said tank. It allowed me to use schools which were by far too small, and to keep schooling fish individually.

Which brings me to the Bolivian ram: it really should not be in a tank that short. They have the potential to grow up to 4+" long (5+" including tail), so should have at least a 36" tank, and ideally be kept in a group in a 48+" tank. I have only ever seen Bolivian rams reach their full potential in larger tanks.

On the other hand, the tank is pretty perfect for the blue rams and would look very nice with a pair.

You would be much better off using common sense and research for your stocking, rather than *that* calculator. It is actually moderately accurate to imagine yourself as a fish and just ask yourself "would I like things like that?": for example, for the Bolivian ram in a 20" tank, imagine spending your whole life in a room which is 4*4 large steps. No space for movement? It's about the same for a bigish fish in a smallish tank.

I'm not trying to have a go at you or anything like that, just trying to encourage you to think about what is best for your pet.
    Kat
    stock list | main display tank | 60 litre Asian bio-tope (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr