Trill's breakdown and rebuild of 65g.
Ok so I have mentioned other places that I am worried about a mystery disease in my fish, that may or may-not be Fish TB. So I'm at the point of going to some strong medications, and a full tear down of the tank.
Since I am not fully certain that it is Fish TB, I am not yet prepared to euthanize all fish and plants.
I thought it might be nice to document this plan of action and its results for future reference.
First: Gather Materials Needed and Plan
- Prime - large enough bottle to neutralize the bleach solution needed to clean all hard surfaces. ✓
- Bleach - This is my primary disinfectant, to be used on all rocks, plants, and other hard surfaces. I will be using a 5% solution. (For every measure of bleach, there are 19 measures of water) ✓
- H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) - This is my secondary disinfectant, for use on driftwood pieces (there is mixed reviews on using bleach with driftwood) ✓
- Assorted Buckets and One large rubbermaid tub to house fish during this proceedure ✓
- UV sterilizer - I am adding this to the outgoing/return line of my filter. Based on some reading (Here's one good link: http://www.bookmasters.com/marktplc/...ycoarticle.pdf) I think that this can help with the issue I am seeing. ✓
- Kanaplex - Kanamyacin is the name of this antibiotic. From what I have read, Kanaplex is one of the few medications I was able to locate that has this med. ✓
- Patience - Boy I hope so!
Here's a quick image from this morning. (FedEx just dropped off the Prime and UV so I'm finally ready to begin)
What are the symptoms of your fish?
I didn't know that fish could get TB be careful you don't catch it...if that's possible!
Fish can also get TB, its not the same bacteria as the one that we refer to as human TB. But it IS one that will transfer fish to human so its not something to mess around with once you know you have it.
The thread on the tetras I had issues with is here (includes photos): http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=82650
I have had a couple mystery deaths (fish seems fine one day, a day or two later... deceased) I have not seen lesions or spinal curvature which are the more common and typical signs of Fish TB.
Hmmmm...interesting, but worrying. Sorry to read all this. I hope your new plan of action sorts it all out.
So I got fish in the tub, I put in the first dose of meds to get them started. Currently running an airstone and the heater in there, and the temp hasn't fluctuated much.
I got the tank drained... rescued two snails from the large driftwood piece (this is after bf and I both oogles it. Rescued a snail from the rock/driftwood bucket that I'm fairly certain came from the anubias on the rock.
Got my plants bleached and de-chlor'd and the rocks bleached and de-chlor. I am thinking I'll probably put less of the rocks back into the tank. Thankfully, aside from eggs I don't think any snails were bleached.
Since its a lovely 74ºF and sunny day out... I did most of the bleach work out on the back patio.
Going to take a lunch break (yes I know what time it is...) and then I am going to do the driftwood and the tank cleaning this afternoon.
Well its still clearing after the refill. I will say this is one time I'm glad I bought some test strips back in the beginning.. they test for Chlorine. I OD'd the Prime before filling... but its good to be certain.
I did not get the UV added. Mainly because while I do have extra hose for my filter, I failed to account for the lack of hose adaptor rubber bits I would need. So those are on order from Amazon and should be here Wednesday. I'd have shopped local, but calling around was an exercise in futility.
Water has cleared this morning.... and all the big fish are accounted for, no bodies... so that's a good start.
I need to do some minor adjustments with plants and one of the small driftwood, but I think I'll wait until Wednesday.
Wow what a difference! Let's hope nothing nasty returns.
Hope that everything turns out ok with this. Tank looks nice.
Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12