· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default 45 gallon bowfront

0 Not allowed!
    First fish i've ever owned, so this will be my inaugural aquarium journal

Tonight I added a base layer of 30lbs of flourite, then 50lbs of mixed black and blue gravel. I have a Coralife 96W compact fluorescent for my lighting, and an aquaclear 70 for filtering. Here's a picture of where i'm at:

Tomorrow I mount the heater, thermometer, prep the filter material, prep the driftwood, add my airline/bubble system, add the water and start cycling!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Can't wait to see it all setup and going. I'm assuming you are going to go with live plants because of the Flourite base?
    Empty 125g sitting in my shed
    55g Freshwater Tropical Community
    29g Convict Fry Growout Tank
    10g Freshwater Planted Tropical Community
    5g Freshwater Planted Dirt
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Woo! Love new journals
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanisHawttt
    Can't wait to see it all setup and going. I'm assuming you are going to go with live plants because of the Flourite base?
    Absolutely. My LFS is getting their plant shipment Friday, so I plan to go this weekend to grab some.

I currently have a really nice piece of drift wood sitting in a big bucket of really hot water. Just kept pouring boiling water over it until it was just about submerged. After lunch i'll start filling the tank, as i have everything hooked up and ready to go

Also the phone pic was pure laziness. I'll bring out my DSLR for all subsequent pics

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tank's full, and everything's running as it should be. The filter was a bit noisy outta the box, so I applied some Vasoline to the impeller shaft and after a few applications I can barely hear it over the trickling of the water. (Which I may add has plenty of clearance before it hits the lid)

Oddly enough the filter didn't work a couple times between lubrication/testing, i'll have to keep an eye on that. Right now i'm waiting for the temperature to rise so I can add my ammonia and officially begin cycling!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I added about 4ppm of ammonia yesterday, woke up to cloudy water, which apparently could mean the start of the bacterial cycle

Good to see an apparent sign of bacterial life. Water's still testing at roughly 4ppm of ammonia

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It'll take a little bit i think. Nice tank!
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea it will take a couple weeks. Heads up on the AquaClear, if you can still exchange it do it before its to late. When they start working intermittently its only a mater of time till they stop, happened to me recently. If not you can just buy the motor when yours goes out, amazon has them for pretty cheap.

Tank looks great so far, I love bowfronts!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nice tank, any ideas of what fish you want to get?
    "Can ye fathom the ocean, dark and deep, where the mighty waves and the grandeur sweep?" - Fanny Crosby

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalJenemba
    Yea it will take a couple weeks. Heads up on the AquaClear, if you can still exchange it do it before its to late. When they start working intermittently its only a mater of time till they stop, happened to me recently. If not you can just buy the motor when yours goes out, amazon has them for pretty cheap.

Tank looks great so far, I love bowfronts!
    I haven't had any issues with the motor yet, so i think i'm gonna tempt fate and stick with it. A bit noisy with the cover on, though I take it off at night so it's never bothersome

Quote Originally Posted by TheVoldevader
    Nice tank, any ideas of what fish you want to get?
    Congo tetra
    Penguin tetra
    Sterbai Cory
    An angelfish

I went out and picked up some plants today. I only had an hour to put them in before work, planning to "redecorate" tomorrow night