· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: digital testing

1. Question digital testing

0 Not allowed!
    Is there any digital devices that would test for ph, nitrates, nitrite, ammonia, and or hardness and alkalinity? I'm so tired of little crappy viles breaking on me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 Not allowed!
    I've had the same vials for 8 years and never broken even one of them. What are you doing with them? I just throw them in a box when not using them and not one bit careful with them, either.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    There are digital meters, but not an all in one type thing that I am aware of. And it will likely be a rather pricey endeavor to track down each kind (hundreds of dollars). Hanna is one brand that makes various digital meters.

May I suggest avoiding chemistry as a profession if you are breaking vials.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've got big dumb hands . I have dropped em an inch and they shatter , I squeezed too hard pulling cap off and broke one, and I pushed a cap on once and cracked glass ..make no mistake they are garbage!

Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    LOL LH,

At 244$ for a NitrAte monitor you might just want rethink which one you would prefer to drop if you are likely to continue to do such a thing because the vials are far far cheaper. [I guess, Never broke one]

More types available at http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-s...t=1&page_num=1
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sweet that cool device. Nitrate is the one I worry about most. I never trust that I did it right and have to do the test three times just to prove to myself Its done properly. Although I never get different readings but when you have discus you don't mess around.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    You can get a TDS meter on eBay for $10-15 shipped. You would still want to test nitrate with a liquid test kit for a while to see how they correlate in your tank, but in general they will correlate and it is much faster and easier to use the meter.
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    A TDS meter reads total disolved solids. It will not tell you how much ammonia, nitrite or nitrates are in the water. It will tell you a total of all solids, such as iron, calcium, chlorides. It does not give information such as individual readings like you have X ppm Ammonia, or Y ppm Nitrites.

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe that's the trick. I never use the caps. LOL

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    I know. If the tank is cycled you don't need to worry about ammonia and nitrite. Unless you are screwing with the pH you don't need to know that. Water quality is the only thing you need to worry about long term. We usually test nitrate to gauge overall water quality, but like nitrate TDS goes up over time as well. If you are adding salt (which you should not do on a regular basis in a freshwater tank) or other things like buffers the TDS can go up faster so it is important to test before and after adding anything like that so you know how much it brought up the TDS.

But yes, TDS can allow you to instantly test water quality.
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.