· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question one amazon sword isn't doing well

0 Not allowed!
    Hello I have two amazon swords in my ten gallon tank. I have a smaller one and a medium size one. The medium size is doing great! It has beautiful green leaves but the smaller one is a light brown and green mix. I thought maybe the plant wasn't doing well but the roots were deep down into the fluorite. What should I do? should I try to trim all the leaves? Any help would be great! (I was told that amazon swords were technically bog plants so I hope I put this in the correct sub-forum)

1 Not allowed!
    My swords did this as well. It could be your lighting, I don't know. They lived until I decided to pull them up cause I wanted to put something else in it's place. It just might be adjusting. If there is green on the leaves I wouldn't trim those off. If the leaves are totally brown, yeah cut them off. Just so you know, well maintained swords will outgrow that tank. They get HUGE. So you may at some point have to remove them, but for now, no big deal.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah its not really brown they are just not one solid color, its really dark green and then the normal color. The plant right next to it is a solid bright green. I know that there was a good amount of the fluorite substrate floating around whenever the filter was filtering it out. I had never used fully submerged plants before so I took it out of the tube I got to see how they fit it in there. I noticed after about half an hour that the plant began to wilt so hurried up and stuck it into the substrate while there was red dust swirling though out the tank. So I wonder if that has anything to do with it. The plant seems to be fine, its not really brown just more of a dark green. I'll see if it recovers and if it doesn't I think I will just cut some of the leaves and see if they grow back the correct green. Thanks for the response at least now I know its not something completely out of the ordinary. I also know these plants can get pretty big, I'm using the ten gallon as an experimental tank to see if I have somewhat of a green thumb and if things go well after 2 months or so I will move it to my 30 gallon :) .

1 Not allowed!
    Ah HA! I think I've got it. You say you got it out of a tube, I'm assuming then that this came from Petco or Petsmart and was NOT submersed when you bought it. Swords of course can be submersed, but all plants that can be submersed but grown out of water take time to transition back to a submersed state. The one sword seems to just be handling the transition better than the other one.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.