· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat vs. Fish?

Default Cat vs. Fish?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a question. I would like a cat, but I am afraid that the cat would eat my fish (friend's cat does that) I know that some of you keep cats with fish so do you have any suggestions/advice on this?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Get a lazy cat. We have a whole bunch of tanks now and our two cats have never tried to get in them. I do use glass tops on most of them though in case they do jump.

0 Not allowed!
    My sons cats never even look at his fish but his tank is in the basement and there's no furniture near the tanks for cats to climb up on. His furniture is clear across the room from the tank.

We hear lots of stories here about cats and fish. Cats jumping on the tanks and breaking the glass lids or falling in the tanks or knocking the lights over, etc. Not good if a cat should knock the lights in the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    So are there any other ways to prevent a cat from trying to eat fish or jump on a tank?

Like, training or something?

0 Not allowed!
    I think it depends on the cat. They are a natural predator of fish but like cats and dogs, I think they can learn to live together.

I go to peoples houses and see their cats walking around on the table and jumping on the kitchen counters, etc, and it drives me nuts. I don't have cats now but when I did, they would never dare do such a thing or would get in some serious trouble. LOL They can be trained.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What we did with all are cats was get a little spray bottle everytime the kitten would jump somewhere it should not we sprayed it. Are you getting a kitten?
    10 Gallon Nano Tank

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 4 cats and 11 aquariums. Though it probably depends on the cat, ours don't bother the aquariums. One cat watches the puffer's tank, but she doesn't jump on it. We have lids on all the tanks, though, because the cats will try to drink the water from the filter output. A hot glue gun and needlepoint mesh comes in handy, here.

0 Not allowed!
    LOL...My cat wouldn't dare try to eat my fish...Even though he is 28 pounds.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demjor19
    LOL...My cat wouldn't dare try to eat my fish...Even though he is 28 pounds.
    Your the exception I think, if I had your fish id be worried my cat would fall in the tank and the fish would eat the cat
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    My cats interest in the tanks has always been the moving water. (Its better for drinking!)

A canopy or sturdy hood should be good enough to keep your cats out of the tank. A glass top will not be sturdy enough should your cat jump on top, it may break and then you spend time picking glass out of your fish tank.