· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default New Member, Tropheus Questions

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone, new member here. Could use expert advice. I am a former discus hobbyist (20 yrs) and was recently wiped out by what looked like discus plague. Looked for a different slightly less expensive but still challenging and interesting fish and decided on tropheus. Could use advice on what I need to get started. Here's what I have so far:

90 gallon tank, stand, light
    2 aquaclear 110 filters (500 GPH each)
    2 heaters, each capable of heating the tank on its own
    2 airstones/pump
    UV Sterilizer
    Tank has now been sterilized using first PP and then a bleach solution (naturally, I will wait until the bleach is gone before populating the tank again)

Removed all of the former substrate and everything else in the tank.

What do I need to add for Tropheus? How many can live in this tank? Looking to add gobies too (how many?) and maybe cyprochromis (are they compatible?)

I have several months to prepare so all advice is appreciated! Sorry for such a long post but just want to get the best possible advice! THANKS!

0 Not allowed!
    I have to say that you've picked a very nice fish, with a very scary price tag! Well in Australia they cost a fortune! I've seen them advertised, in Western Australia for $700 for 24 Tropheus Duboisi.

Like a lot of cichlids, the Tropheus will like a nice sand for substrate, and lots, and I mean lots of rocks to make up caves for them to all hide in when things start to get a bit angry in the tank. They can be super territorial.

Now I have never kept these before, but I've been around other people that have kept them, and it seems to be a case of picking a particular Tropheus that you like the best, and only stocking your tank with that one type of Tropheus. And from what I can gather, you need to start off with around 30 of them. You might be able to have more in your 90g, as the tanks I have seen them in are 75g. I believe the male to female ratio for these guys is 1 male to 4 - 6 females. And they like the pH between 8 and 9, a KH of around 14, and a GH over 10. They also like a mostly vegetable based diet too.

And that's about all I know about them!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

0 Not allowed!
    Never kept them or known anyone that had them so no help here and it sounds as you have already gotten some good advice from escamosa. I did read one thing interesting in that they like things the same all the time. Fed at the same time, water changes at the same time and lights on and off at the same time all the time. They don't like changes to their schedule at all. (Sound like me.) And fed a heavy diet of Spirulina.

Nice fish and nice pick. Good luck.

0 Not allowed!
    They can what I call clean freaks too! They like their water nice fresh all of time.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

0 Not allowed!
    What tropheus variant do you intend to get? I keep a group (20+) of Tropheus sp. 'Black' Bemba (aka Orange-Flame Bemba) and a single Tropheus duboisi.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24