· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default So I drunk-bought a turtle in New Orleans..

0 Not allowed!
    So I was on Canal Street after Bourbon and came across this street seller who was selling turtles.

The thing was, they were the cutest little turtles, and they were all in such clean conditions that I was a bit surprised. He said they came from a turtle farm, and I was feeling rather "happy" at the moment, so I bought one of them and carried it around with me all night.

Well, this morning, I woke up and realized I have a new pet. Here are a couple pictures of him. I think I am going to name him Bourbon or Hurricane, but I haven't decided. Maybe Bourbon Hurricane lol.

Can anyone tell what kind of turtle he is???
    http://i48.tinypic.com/2m31sbc.jpg
    http://i49.tinypic.com/jtkj1k.jpg

The reason I am posting this here is because I wanted to see the feasibility of adding him to my community tank. It is a 20g long, with a fluval 305. Current inhabitants are 7 panda corys, 1 angelfish, 1 dwarf gourami, and a bunch of ghost shrimp.

My plan would be to buy one of these
    http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Turtle...urtle+platform

and let him in the tank with everyone else. I also plan to get rid of the dwarf gourami and angelfish and go with German blue rams in the future.

Here is a picture of the tank: http://i47.tinypic.com/qrhdz5.jpg

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, he will probably eat everything or take chunks out of them. Needs his own tank, because fish are food. :-P He may also have different heating requirements, etc.

Might be a box turtle, but I'm not an expert. Try a google image search if we can't help.

I LOVE those names. I would go with Bourbon Hurricane. :)
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think I've identified him as an eastern painted turtle.

Would you agree?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    diamondback terrapin

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    He can go in a smaller grow out tank for now...but you'll need at least a 75g to give him some room...and as he grows he'll need 'out' time for muscle development...so he'll need to wander around 3-5X a week in a turtle safe place...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

0 Not allowed!
    They also need a place where they can bask out of the water and access to sunlight or uv light
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    Get a cheap kids wading pool for him and put him in the back yard.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nah he's not a painter. They have a red tint to their streaks.

I bet he will need lots of room to crawl around
    Last edited by Azurescriber; 07-09-2012 at 02:07 AM.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Not a painted, not a diamondback terrapin.

Most like a yellow belly slider, chicken cooter, or something similar.

Not a fish tank turtle. It needs a basking area where it can get out and completely dry off (a piece of driftwood is fine). It needs a light that provides a lot of UVB as well as UVA, infrared, and white light (I highly recommend a mercury vapor bulb).
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Drink some more and return it.