· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Help with new setup

0 Not allowed!
    I was wondering if these three fish would be compatible with each other in a 15-20 gallon sized tank. I am thinking of having a kissing gourami, a tiger barb, and maybe an angelfish. Any help would be appreciated!

0 Not allowed!
    A 20g tank isn't really the ideal size for Angels and Gouramis, especially Gouramis, unless you choose a dwarf species. Mixing Angels and Gouramis can be a pretty dangerous combination too. The larger species of Gouramis can be pretty nasty if they don't have the room that they need. When you add the Tiger Barbs into that mixture, you can have trouble with those guys getting nippy, particularly towards the Angels, because the Angels have long fins that are easy targets for nipping at. To settle the Tiger Barbs down, and keep the nipping within their own species, you really need a decent sized school - something around 10+. And they can grow to around 2.5 inches. So in my opinion, you really should be looking at a much bigger tank. Start at about 40g at least.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Definitely not.

Tiger barbs REQUIRE schools of 6+ or they get very aggressive with other fish.

Angels need a much bigger tank, and will be aggressive with the gourami.

The gourami is fine in that tank but needs different tank mates. Even in a school the barbs might nip the gourami fins, but you could try a school of them and a gourami and see how it works, no angel. Most pet stores have return policies.

I suggest you read up on cycling your tank as well, since I get the feeling you are new to the hobby. No offense, just want your tank to be healthy and successful! If you cycle properly, your fish won't die. If you ignore the cycle, they WILL die.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What would you all suggest as tankmates for the kissing gourami in a 20 gallon?

0 Not allowed!
    I would not put that Gourami in a 20g! Kissing Gouramis can grow somewhere between 6 and 12 inches long, and they need lots of room and stacks of plants. Like I said, 20g tanks are not suitable for any of those. If you put the Gourami in that tank, you're going to have big trouble with whatever fish that you choose to add next.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I read up a tad on your kissing gourami. I thought he was a small kind. He is not.

A 20g is not very suitable for him. You could have a dwarf gourami though, or a honey. They are smaller and better suited for your tank. Which means you can have more fish! Yay!

There are a lot of fish compatible with them. Most kinds of tetras, catfish, danios (IF your tank is long, what are the dimensions?), mollies, platies, pretty much anything non-aggressive and without flowing fins. Nothing in the labyrinth family, like other gouramis or bettas. A good idea is to go to your LFS and look at what interests you, then go home (or here) and do the research on the fish. This website has good fish profiles.

Unless you are looking at price considerations, a larger tank is the better option. It is actually easier to maintain than a smaller one.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I agree with escamosa.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You mentioned angel fish. They are elegant, easy to keep, very compatible. However, I wouldn't even recommend one for your tank size. You really need to step up in tank size for the fish you wish to keep. You need to look at smaller species like neon tetras, or even just a school of tiger barbs.
    I will always recommend longer tanks vs taller or deeper tanks. This allows the fish to really spread out and creates a better scene to the eye.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks to everyone for the help, I ended up going with a Creamsicle Lyretail Molly and also a Velvet Wag Swordtail they are both doing fine for right now and I plan on adding more fish later on.