· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Angelfish and what else?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi again

My new tank is around 16 G. We have there an angelfish and a female molly, they were both presents.

I've read about the problem about the compatibilities with the angelfish. At the moment I have more or less clear that best choices are big Tetras, Mollies, Platies, Swordtails and some more, right? But, is there a "best choice" between all of them?

Also would like to know how many fishes I can have inside my tank without problems.

Thanks!!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    A 16G is too small for an Angelfish rehome it then you can keep a school of tetras or some swords and/or mollies
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Question

0 Not allowed!
    Your first decision is this:

Are you going to rehome the angel fish or get a larger tank.

16G is not a large enough tank for the angelfish [Period]. Not to mention any other additions.

After you decide which way you are going you will have more choices to make.

Is there any chance this tank was cycled? Please read the red links here.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's 60 l (don't know if I did right the operation about G vs L) and I though 40 l per angelfish is enough. Isn't it?
    Really thank you for the info, so I'll rehome the angelfish and the Molly will stay there. Then, with the Molly, should be same combinations? I mean with Tetras, Platies, Swordtails, etc? Or better more Mollies? And how many can go inside without the angelfish?

Thanks!!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R

Is there any chance this tank was cycled? Please read the red links here.
    The water and the tank are OK. Everything was made in the right way

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    3 or 4 mollies would be ok for a 16G, they produce a lot of waste so you will need to keep up weekly water changes and have the appropriate filtration, remember male mollies + female mollies = loads of baby mollies.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pellejito
    It's 60 l (don't know if I did right the operation about G vs L) and I though 40 l per angelfish is enough. Isn't it? No, If you Triple that 40L tank size you then have a tank suitable for ONE angel. It's an excellent call to rehome the angel .
    Really thank you for the info, so I'll rehome the angelfish and the Molly will stay there. Then, with the Molly, should be same combinations? I mean with Tetras, Platies, Swordtails, etc? Or better more Mollies? And how many can go inside without the angelfish?

Thanks!!
    I would suggest you stick with either all tetras or an all male live bearer tank as you will run out of room rather quickly if you have mixed sex livebearers producing fry in there.

The water and the tank are OK. Everything was made in the right way
    Please be descriptive.

Does this mean you spent a few weeks growing bacteria in your filter before the fish went into the tank? How long has this tank been up and running & how long have the fish been in?
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest you stick with either all tetras or an all male live bearer tank as you will run out of room rather quickly if you have mixed sex livebearers producing fry in there.
    Don't you mean all female live-bearer? Our Molly is a female. I think it's the best choice. About 4 fishes? Or could it be more?

Please be descriptive.

Does this mean you spent a few weeks growing bacteria in your filter before the fish went into the tank? How long has this tank been up and running & how long have the fish been in?
    Yes. Up and running for 5 weeks before the fishes were in. The angelfish has been there for 4 months and the molly 2 weeks.

No, If you Triple that 40L tank size you then have a tank suitable for ONE angel. It's an excellent call to rehome the angel
    Ok, then it will be rehomed.

0 Not allowed!
    Good to hear about the cycling .

No, I meant male. Female live bearers can hold latent sperm for months and if you were to get all females you could still end up with heaps of fry.

If you populate your tank with more girls from a shop [Where they were housed with boys--> F+M = Preggo] they will very very very likely be pregnant & This will quickly overpopulate your tank.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So if I understood right...my female Molly and 4 male live-bearer is ok? Also a male Molly?