· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Algae Eater Consideration

0 Not allowed!
    So today while observing my tank I noticed alot of red stuff growing on the back glass. I'm assuming this was algae, and I wiped it off. This being said I've come to consider getting something to help me keep the growth down.

Does any one have any suggestions?

My tank is currently stocked as follows:
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    24 Neon Tetras
    9 Kuhli loaches

And will eventually also have:
    1 Apistogramma
    1 German Blue Ram

And MAYBE:
    1 Angel

The only thing I've seen that I personally like was a Sunshine Pleco. I think that was the name. Anyway it was a pleco with yellow spots. Only I'm not sure how big they get and all that.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    "Pleco with yellow spots"----> Gold nugget pleco?
    Also, I don't know the size of your tank, or the actual type of algae, but I'll say that amano shrimp and otos are notorious algae eaters.
    I remember someone had a very picky oto, and it would only eat algae, so he upped his light to grow algae as food. Cool.
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

0 Not allowed!
    Shoot, I'm sorry. I completely meant to put in the size. I have a 55g planted, with drift wood. Will soon have sand as a substrate.

Also, I like the idea of shrimp, but I'm pretty sure the ciclids would eat them.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

0 Not allowed!
    When I first set up my 10 gallon after rescuing it from its previous owner and before I changed all the substrate, lighting and decor, it would grow a thick green algae all over. After about a week of nursing the fish in the tank back to health, my little oticinclus took to it like crazy. Almost the whole gravel and front glass was covered in thick green patches and he had it all cleaned up within a week.

I have heard that Oticinclus are finicky and difficult to keep alive. I've even heard tales of them not making it home with you because of the stress of being bagged up and transported. Mine has made it through lots of stress and I haven't had a problem with him. They are very cute and very small so I think a group of like 6 of them would be fun to have in your tank.

I don't know what their compatability would be with adult sized khuli loaches. Also you will have to feed them blanched veggies to supplement their diet if you don't have enough algea for them. I feed otis a blanched zuchinni or cucumber a couple times week and he loves it.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    I have otos, bushy nose pleco, panda garra, dwarf shrimp, platy, endlers and true Siamese algae eaters. All this fish are known algae eaters but the best by far is the true Siamese algae eater. Get 3 or 5 of them and you can thank me later lol. They even eat black brush algae.

Btw I was going to get a golden nugget or sunshine pleco for future 75 gallon and. Read that they prefer a meaty diet with some algae.
    Roll the Dice!