· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Oddball/colourful fish!

0 Not allowed!
    So what are all of the oddball fish you know of or have?

I have:
    2 ropefish/reedfish - oddball
    BGK - oddball
    Angels
    Kribs

Sadly, it looks as though I am going to have to get rid of my BGK and Ropes, so I want oddballs to replace them or even just gain knowledge on other cool fish!

Also any colourful fish that could co-exist with the fish I have!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know of several oddball fish. What is you tank size and dimensions? I am assuming the tank is cycled. I know some people say glass catfish are not oddballs but I think they could be considered an oddball. I mean look at them haha. If this is with your angels and kribs obviously nothing big enough to eat them.
    10 Gallon Nano Tank

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by es31710
    I know of several oddball fish. What is you tank size and dimensions? I am assuming the tank is cycled. I know some people say glass catfish are not oddballs but I think they could be considered an oddball. I mean look at them haha. If this is with your angels and kribs obviously nothing big enough to eat them.
    It's a 72 gal bowfront. Not sure of dimensions 48" legnth 18" width 20" height is my guess. Glass cats are cool! would only want them when I plant my aquarium! thanks for response!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Not saying they are an oddball but a fish that I have that isnt all that common is golden wonder panchax, in your 72G you could manage 5males and 10 females easily
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately you cannot really put any oddballs in a 72 gallon because frankly they get to big or too aggressive for your fish. I think the Killi fish would be a great idea.
    10 Gallon Nano Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Agree. Looking for oddballs is not enough. Look for fish that actually fit in your size tank and those that go with the other fish you wish to keep. Oddball fish are also hard to find and generally expensive. And can also be hard to rehome because no one else may want them.

The ropefish can grow up to 16". And you have two of them? So what is the benefit of getting all these fish not adaptable to a tank that's too small for them?
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 07-06-2012 at 08:11 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    "Not saying they are an oddball but a fish that I have that isnt all that common is golden wonder panchax, in your 72G you could manage 5males and 10 females easily" --
    Thanks for your idea, from what I understand though, killifish only live 1-2 years. Please Correct me if i'm wrong.

"Unfortunately you cannot really put any oddballs in a 72 gallon because frankly they get to big or too aggressive for your fish. I think the Killi fish would be a great idea." --
    Okay. well I'll just have to get some nice schools of common fish.

"Agree. Looking for oddballs is not enough. Look for fish that actually fit in your size tank and those that go with the other fish you wish to keep. Oddball fish are also hard to find and generally expensive. And can also be hard to rehome because no one else may want them.The ropefish can grow up to 16". And you have two of them? So what is the benefit of getting all these fish not adaptable to a tank that's too small for them?" --
    Sorry I thought the ropefish were able to be housed at 50 gal bare min, the recommended for comfort was 75 gal and i have 72, so I thought it wouldn't be too bad. Especially because they are so flexible. Thanks again for the info though. I am planning on selling them or something.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah 2 years is the average age, still awesome fish and I wouldn't let that stop you from getting them. I mean 2 years is still a long time to enjoy and appreciate your fish.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Only the annual killi's top out at 2 years. Golden wonders are not an annual and can live as long as any other common fish.

I also agree on the oddballs. It's not so much the tank size its the fact that by definition oddballs are, odd. Which means they often have specific requirement entirely different from other fish and will need to be kept alone.

Ropefish for example, I disagree that the tank is too small. Unlike almost every other fish just because they get 16" doesn't mean the tank has to be 16" deep, for the same reason a 6ft snake doesn't need a cage 6ft deep. But they are obviously incompatible with your current stock. Your kribs will simply be feeder fish for them before too long. And lord only knows whats going to happen when angel fish world war 3 breaks out next year.

My point is its not all about tank size, you needs to research what can live together as well.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    have you considered the peacock eels?