· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freshwater Rays

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Freshwater Rays

0 Not allowed!
    Hello guys!..

in the near future me and the mrs plan on setting a seperate tank up for some fresh water rays?.. ther eis something about these animals that i find peacefull and my house could do with some peace in it haha! .. so i was just posting this as there is not many people from were i live that keep these.. so i was really asking for the basics really and some insight from some people that keep them :).. thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know much about them but I do know that they are for the advanced aquarist. If you don't have any aquarium experience then I don't think it will be a successful first project.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    You need a BIG, BIG, BIG tank. As in a 180 is arguably not big enough for even the smallest species. You need to be able to do very large water changes (80%) every week AND keep the water exactly the same, so you have to have all that water sitting, aerating, and heated ready to go at any moment. You need to be able to feed very well, they are hungry little things that want to be able to grow very fast. You need to have a tank that they can't jump out of no matter what. The heater needs to be completely inaccessible to them no matter what. And depending on who you talk to you can't have any other type of fish in the tank no matter what.

Enjoy.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    aww right i didnt think they needed that much care and time. Well i will sure to be leaving it a good while before i think of gettin them :).. need some or should i say a lot of expirience! . thanks guys for ur help!
    Pretty New at this game .. sorry if i go on!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to see you posted here BEFORE buying one - we usually get posters here who already have one, in too small of a tank and want to know how to take care of it and everyone here says "return or re-home it" and the poster says "But I've become attached to it!" - so congrats on being smart

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Aw yeah there was going to be NO way i was buying one before i has done some reading like!.. not fair on the animal really!.. but i can still dream haha!.. thanks lad!
    Pretty New at this game .. sorry if i go on!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas - KingFisher   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thanks! - pRED   

0 Not allowed!
    Glad you didn't jump into anything one of the moderators - crispy - has kept rays before, mybe he will chip in and be able to give some first hand experience.

2727 - you can keep rays with other fish, I mean they don't have species only rivers in the wild
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Keano, I can't give you much advice about rays, I think they are neat, but keeping them just doesn't interest me so I have never done any real research into them. They can be a difficult species to keep alive and I suggest you do plenty of research before you attempt to keep them. Not just here but read some books, talk to people who have actual experience keeping them so you learn as much as you can about them. Armed with the proper knowledge there is no fish (appropriate to an aquarium setting) that can't be kept by most anyone.

Learn their natural habitat, nutritional, and water needs so you can duplicate those as best you can. Talk with people who keep them so you can find out what to expect and what you may not expect to happen. Then when all that research is done, ask yourself if you are willing to give these animals the care and dedication they need and deserve. If you answer that question honestly, this doesn't have to be a bad experience.

How is anyone going to become an advanced aquarist if they don't research all they can and reach out beyond their current knowledge and experience? If everyone had this attitude we would all be keeping goldfish, guppies, and mollys for the rest of our lives.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 07-08-2012 at 01:17 PM.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    The teacup rays are also more difficult to feed in captivity than their larger relatives. You will also need heavy parasite treatments when you receive them because it is very rare you wont see some internal parasites with them. They are not *that* difficult to maintain. They just have specialized needs which need to be met for their survival. Really just like any fish...only Rays are not as forgiving to aquarist error.

A couple of teacup rays will need at the very minimum of a 6x2 footprint...bigger is naturally better of course. They need extremely pristine water...think nitrates less than 5ppm and never any measurable traces of ammonia or nitrite. They need a fine soft sandy substrate...very minimal decor and most of them wont easily accept prepared foods. Live black worms are your best choice of food. They are easily prone to disease, and are more sensitive to electrical current in the aquarium. I would really suggest a grounding probe with them. I do agree to keep heaters out of the tank...as they often burn themselves on the heater. A 180G tank with 2-3 large canister filters, Inline heaters, and a couple of internal powerhead quick filters would provide a nice home for some teacup rays.

You can keep them with other fish, but the other fish need to be both peaceful and too large to be considered food. Large peaceful SA cichlids work well...the Chocolate cichlid and true Parrot cichlids are great tankmates. You will of course also need to treat them for internal parasites so you will not infect your rays. There are several species of "teacup" rays including Hystrix and Reticula being the most common. It is also common to see larger ray species such as Motoros being sold as "teacup" rays while they are still pups. You need to invest a considerable amount of time and research into their care. I would not say that they are not for beginners...they are just not for ill informed uneducated beginners.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    I think mommy and mchr killer nailed it. good advice. they do require very heavy filtration and dedication. one thing I will add is that it is a good idea to run a sump on a ray tank to hide the heaters and for the extra water volume.

I would also suggest trying to get captive bred rays. they are much more tolerable of aquarium parameters and usually parasite free.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!