· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Testing Question

0 Not allowed!
    I posted some general growing questions earlier. I am planning to replace by pebbles with aquariumplants.com substrate. I have ordered their nutrient pellets. I have plenty of light at the correct wavelength. My pH level has always been high and is now, 8.6. My test kit is 5 years old and I have ordered a new meter.

1. Thinking through changing the substrate, I'll remove most of the water and the fish then scoop out the old and put in the new. My tank has been "cycled" for almost five years. With this drastic a change will the filter media be enough to go ahead?
    2. Even though I have old pH test chems and am getting new, my pH has always been high. Any ideas on what could cause this? One question I have is my decorative rocks. I bought a bag of bleached coral from petsmart. Could this be leaching out calcium or something else causing my pH to be high. Not much else in my tank that I can think of, some other rocks and a couple of sea shells.
    3. what is the simplest test for KH and CO2?

thanks,
    Mark

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    1 - What type of filter are you using? If you are using an Undergravel filter, then there may be some cause for concern. If not, you should have enough good bacteria built up in your filter canister/hob media.

2 - crushed coral is used to increase PH in tanks, so I would indeed look at that as a potential cause. What is your tap/replacement water's PH? It could be your source water is also a bit higher in PH. And lastly, how about an actual PH reading. High can be a relative concept.

3 - Not sure on KH, but I know many people like using CO2 drop checkers to see how their CO2 is. There are several kinds available from a simple google.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for your response. I am using a HOB filter with two filter elements. And there are two rollers which are supposed to provide a home for the bacteria.

I took a reading last Saturday and another one Tuesday and both pegged the pH at 8.6. It is real easy to remove my coral rocks so I believe I will try that this evening.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    kh can easily be tested by picking up a liquid kh test kit.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    New Plants on the way from Aquariumplants.com
    New substrate on the way from Aquariumplants.com
    KH test kit on the way from Aquariumplants.com
    pH meter on the way from ebay
    total fert pellets on the way from Aquariumplants.com

have removed six coral rocks from aquarium and will test pH and look for a drop from 8.6, will do a water change if no significant change noted

will test for CO2 when I receive the KH test kit and new pH meter

hopefully I have the bases covered.