· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Post

0 Not allowed!
    Please don't rage at me, as I am a beginner with a tank this size.
    I cycled my tank for about a month, doing water changes every other day.
    I got my water tested by the store couple times, so I don't know the parameters. But, I'm assuming the experienced employee knows what he was doing. I was a bit surprised when the employee suggested that, that stock would be fine. Because I did a little bit of research before, and figured out I could get around 3 Cichlids into the tank at most(matters what kind). But, I thought since he is a fish shop staff, he would know much more than me. So, I followed his advice. I regret it much, since I payed around $40 for my fish all together. By the way, these fish are all around 1-2 inches. I don't know if that changes anything or not. But anyways the pair of Black Convicts (male & female) would be enough for my tank anyways. I'm just worried if I will be able to return the fish, just like that.
    Please answer my questions above. Also if you could, please list some combinations of Cichlids together, and a community setup also.
    I would like to get the most fish I can get into it(maintenance is not a problem)
    I would appreciate all the help!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry. There is a tendency to get aggressive with people who have gotten poor advice. Fish shops want to sell fish and filters and meds and product. Heavy stocking drives these goals. When I had my shop it was a constant battle to keep control of my clients. If I said no they just went to the guy down the street who said yes. He told them I was a dope and sold them more fish. I went out of business by the way, so much for proper and ethical sales techniques ruling the day.

By my estimates you do have too many fish in a 29 gallon aquarium.

Placing a pair of convicts in a tank with other fish will result in a problem.

Sorry that you recieved advice that was less than ideal. The members here really have given you a heads up to what to expect with the situation you have. If you keep it the way it is you will lose all of the fish except the pair of convicts and then you will lose the female convict. Been there done it.

Sorry it seemed as if you were getting raged at, people just don't like seeing other people get bad advice again and again. After a while you can lose your patience and get mad about it.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian Woods Angels
    Sorry. There is a tendency to get aggressive with people who have gotten poor advice. Fish shops want to sell fish and filters and meds and product. Heavy stocking drives these goals. When I had my shop it was a constant battle to keep control of my clients. If I said no they just went to the guy down the street who said yes. He told them I was a dope and sold them more fish. I went out of business by the way, so much for proper and ethical sales techniques ruling the day.

By my estimates you do have too many fish in a 29 gallon aquarium.

Placing a pair of convicts in a tank with other fish will result in a problem.

Sorry that you recieved advice that was less than ideal. The members here really have given you a heads up to what to expect with the situation you have. If you keep it the way it is you will lose all of the fish except the pair of convicts and then you will lose the female convict. Been there done it.

Sorry it seemed as if you were getting raged at, people just don't like seeing other people get bad advice again and again. After a while you can lose your patience and get mad about it.
    Thanks for the advice!
    Also if you could, please list some combinations of Cichlids I could put together in a 29, and a what I could put in a community setup also.
    I would like to get the most fish I can get into it(maintenance is not a problem).
    Thanks.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe the members here can help you if you tell them more about your setup. What kind of decor/substrate is in your tank. Maybe post of picture of your tank. Also, what is the hardness\ PH level of your water? Temperature of your tank water would be helpful. Just knowing that it is a 29gallon tank helps, but there are many more factors that play in to selecting a proper stock. Experts on this forum like specifics, so if they ask for water parameters they are looking for actual numbers. If you don't have one already, go purchase an API master test kit, and a water hardness test kit. Joining this forum and asking questions if a good sign that you want to be an educated/responsible fish keeper, you just have to learn from your mistakes and improve off of that, like the goldfish you have in a 5gal :) .

Parameters they are looking for
    Ammonia level
    Nitrite level
    Nitrate level
    PH
    KH

0 Not allowed!
    If you are looking for a 29 gallon tank full of cichlids, it will not work. You can get some dwarf cichlids.....rams, apisto's or kribs......or perhaps have one angelfish with small community fish but a 29 gallon is not meant for housing large cichlids or several cichlids.

Something else you may like would be Tanganyika shell dwellers. They are very cool. But you need to change your thinking cap from that of large, aggressive cichlids to cichlids that will work in that tank or make it a community tank.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First, welcome to the AC. Glad you're here and hope we can help

Second, what Lady Hobbs is asking is not whether your tank is cycled, but exactly how it was cycled. Please describe the exact steps you took to get the tank cycled.

Third, I know the wetspot. They are not a normal LFS that gives bad advice. I find it extremely hard to believe that they would give you that kind of advice. If there is an employee there that told you that would work in that size tank I would speak to the sales manager. I have communicated with him by email (I order from them) and I know he wouldn't want one of his staff giving info that wrong.

As for you stock, that has already been answered. You can't fix this without getting rid of some or all of your fish. If you want a CA cichlid you can keep one of any of the fish you have, pick your favorite and return the rest.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

7. Post

0 Not allowed!
    Don't get me wrong. The Wet Spot, is one of the best fish shops around here! I got confused, but we figured it out.
    So, I returned the fish for store credit. I got myself, 2 schools of small fish(3 in one, and 5 Neons in the other), also an Angelfish. The worker at the store, suggested I could get around 20-40 small fish into my 29 gallon tank.
    I'm not sure if thats correct. What are your suggestions, or advice? And suggested stocks?

Here's a little bit about my aquarium:
    I like to keep my tank lookin' real and natural, not some pink barbie house
    But that takes money, and I'm on a short budget.
    So, I got around 8 fake plants. A Fluval C3 filter, a heater, dark/cream colored;small sized, gravel. Most of my plants go up to about half the tank, but I have one that is fairly tall(bit of the top floats). Also an aquarium light sits on top. I got couple bulky rocks, and several little flat ones. (I will post pictures, as soon as I can!) The aquarium sits atop an aquarium stand with a bottom shelf for storing things. Thats about it.
    As for how I cycle my tank...I set up my tank, including the plants. Everything. I then run everything, as if fish are living in it. I do about 25% water changes daily, and add water treatment each time. I do this continously for about a month. And of course get water tests done. I haven't gotten bad results yet. I know you guys wanted results. This is kind of embarrasing, but I still haven't gotten a meter for myself. I always got to the store. I will get one soon, and post exact parameters.
    That's about all I can remember right now.

With these details, could you estimate how many and what kind of fish stock could I get in my 29 gallon tank?
    Just list all the possiblites...thanks for your advice/suggestions and time!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your aquarium is now fully stocked and may be over stocked under some conditions as the fish will grow.

The worker told you that you could keep 20 to 40 small fish in a 29 gallon aquarium.

I feel that is incorrect. Perhaps a maximum of 20 one inch long fish..tops. No more.

The angel will grow and this will equate to all of the other 12 more one inch fish that I would allow. Angel equals 12 little fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Start writing down the advice you get from TWS [To insure it's accuracy], I agree with FJ that advice of such shocking low quality is not to be expected from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scommando1
    As for how I cycle my tank...I set up my tank, including the plants. Everything. I then run everything, as if fish are living in it. I do about 25% water changes daily, and add water treatment each time. I do this continously for about a month. And of course get water tests done. I haven't gotten bad results yet. I know you guys wanted results. This is kind of embarrasing, but I still haven't gotten a meter for myself. I always got to the store. I will get one soon, and post exact parameters.
    That's about all I can remember right now.
    So, You are saying that your tank ran for a month with nothing in it and you did 25% WCs daily using dechlor. Do I have that laid out accurately?

If that is accurate I am afraid I have bad news for you. Nothing about that scenario cycles your tank. Nothing at all.

With no source of ammonia [From Ace hardware or waste via excretion or respiration] there has been no food source for any beneficial bacteria to use to grow.

Your test results will reflect this I am sure.

Take a look at the two red stickys here to learn more about cycling.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    On a side note - a group of 3 and 5 fish aren't schools, 10+ can be considered a small school. 5neons will be scared to death in there with your angel, also when your angels grown up they often snack on neons
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .