· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Exclamation Black Convict hurting other fish!

0 Not allowed!
    I have 5 Cichlids in my 29 gallon tank. I have a Firemouth, Blood Parrot, Rio Chahal, and 2 Black Convicts.

I set-up my fish tank about a month ago. I cycled it through, like you were supposed to. Checked the water quality, and everything was fine. So I headed over to my local fish shop(The Wet Spot). I read/heard somewhere that it was best to start with 2 or 3 fish, at a time. So, I got 2 Black Convicts. About 3 days later, I bought the three other fish(listed above). They are incredibly shy/skittish. They are very scared of every movement. Even when I feed them, I have to be very still. After couple minutes they will come out. And that's only the least of my problems.
    One of my Black Convicts, keeps on chasing/nipping at the other fish. I know Black Convicts get very protective when they are spawning. But there is no sign of any newborns. My best guess is to move around the decorations, so the fish would establish new territory.
    What would you guys suggest?

I'd appreciate all the answers!

0 Not allowed!
    Absolutely totally terrible stocking with aggressive fish in a way too small tank. And if you have not done your testing, the tank will not yet be cycled.

3. Question

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Absolutely totally terrible stocking with aggressive fish in a way too small tank. And if you have not done your testing, the tank will not yet be cycled.
    I have cycled my tank for about a month. My water testing results were good.
    What would you recommend I do?

0 Not allowed!
    How did you cycle the tank before you added fish? With pure liquid ammonia?

Two convicts only could have perhaps gone in a 30 gallon at the least.....better if 40 gallon with no other fish. They are Central american cichlids, not South American and very aggressive.

They also have hundreds of babies which is something else to consider.

But regardless, these fish should not be together. That stock is better suited for a 75 - 100 gallon.

5. Question

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    How did you cycle the tank before you added fish? With pure liquid ammonia?

Two convicts only could have perhaps gone in a 30 gallon at the least.....better if 40 gallon with no other fish. They are Central american cichlids, not South American and very aggressive.

They also have hundreds of babies which is something else to consider.

But regardless, these fish should not be together. That stock is better suited for a 75 - 100 gallon.
    The local fish store that I got them from, got a lot of praise from lots of people. So, I trusted they would help me make the best setup.
    What fish do you think I can keep, and ones that I can't? The other fish seem to be perfectly fine together. Its just the one Convict thats causing all the problems. What do you think about all the shyness, and why they're so skittish?

0 Not allowed!
    We hear it all the time. Fish stores give the worst advice ever and cause more people more problems than if they had gone into this blind.

IF you cycled the tank before adding fish, I might keep the firemouth and get some larger tetra's to go in the tank with him. Or perhaps some Tiger Barbs but nothing else.

If you did not cycle the tank before adding the fish, I believe I would return them all, cycle the tank and then stock it with community fish and save the cichlids for a day when you have a larger tank.