· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 20 Gallon dirted tank! Ideas?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, I finally set up my 20 gallon again but this time with dirt!
    Its been running for a few weeks now and everything has settled so yesterday I grabbed 4 odessa barbs to put there, unfortunately I woke up to one dead barb on the bottom of the tank.

I'm gonna be picking up some wisteria and maybe some amazon sword today and start to plant the tank.

I think the plan right now is to put a Dumbo Ear Betta with the barbs and I'm not 100% convinced this is a good idea, I know barbs can be very fin nippy and they're very active swimmers. So... any thoughts?
    38 Gallon Tank
    3 Platys (1M+2F)
    14 Harlequin Rasbora
    2 Golden Algae Eaters
    3 Kribensis

0 Not allowed!
    Is this a 20 long? If not, IMO you do not have a large enough tank footprint for fish as active as odessa barbs.

My understanding is that the temps preferred by the betta are higher than the barbs would enjoy.

Putting known nippers with a betta is just asking for trouble also IMO and this does not take into account if the betta will accept company or not although I doubt he could catch them.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 07-04-2012 at 05:31 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Aww.. you spent the time to cycle with a dirted tank?
    I would have super-planted it from the beginning.
    I vote small schooling fish+Shrimp and a LOT of plants.
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    850- I dont think it's a 20g long and I'm considering bringing them back and trying a different fish maybe. I was also thinking this could be a fry tank or maybe put some platies/swords in there with the plants.

PO- I read somewhere that because theres so much excess nutrients from the dirt that it can cause the plants to just "melt away"
    38 Gallon Tank
    3 Platys (1M+2F)
    14 Harlequin Rasbora
    2 Golden Algae Eaters
    3 Kribensis

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcKenna
    850- I dont think it's a 20g long and I'm considering bringing them back and trying a different fish maybe. I was also thinking this could be a fry tank or maybe put some platies/swords in there with the plants.

PO- I read somewhere that because theres so much excess nutrients from the dirt that it can cause the plants to just "melt away"
    I don't want to question your choice of substrate but I'm not sure what the point of using dirt is if you're not going to plant it. The main benefit of using dirt IMO is that it is nicer for the plants.

I agree with planting heavily and trying a different fish. If you like barbs, cherry barbs would be okay. Or if you want to go a little more aggressive you could get tiger barbs but that would greatly limit other fish you could put in.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am obviously going to plant it or I would have used dirt in the first place, I just read that because of the excess nutrients from the soil it can be detrimental to the plants for the first few weeks
    38 Gallon Tank
    3 Platys (1M+2F)
    14 Harlequin Rasbora
    2 Golden Algae Eaters
    3 Kribensis

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have not heard that. I think you should be okay to plant right away. I would plant heavily from the start if I were you.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    My opinion would be to rehome the barbs, forget the betta, get a nice school of smaller fish and a male Apistogramma, maybe an agassizii or cacatuoide
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Now that's an idea I wouldn't be completely opposed to lol.

I'm going to be making a trip tomorrow to get some plants and possibly some new little fish and we'll see how the tankk turns out.

I did take a bit of wisteria from my main tank and put it in there and it seems to be growing a bit but its also covered in diatoms so I should probably remove it, just incase.
    38 Gallon Tank
    3 Platys (1M+2F)
    14 Harlequin Rasbora
    2 Golden Algae Eaters
    3 Kribensis