· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Gogi   Your marine fish for your first marine tank, thanks for the rep - Cliff   for your AC tank - Cory Catfish   crimson my betta - Gogi   thanks for the tips - fishmommie   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gogi   

Question Maintaning Beneficial Bacteria

0 Not allowed!
    Hello AC world,

By August I plan to have a 75 gallon cycled and stocked. I have decided to stock it with
    1 Oscar
    1 sunshine pleco

Filtration will be a canister filter designed for 100 gallon tank with a gph of 320.

The O and plec will both be around 2 inches when I buy them. My questions are;
    1) Will the bio load of these two small fish be enough to maintain the BB colony in the 75 gallon tank?
    2) Will the BB colony match the Oscar's growth rate of about an inch a month?

Thank you all for your time and advice in advance
    Roll the Dice!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

> - korith   thank you - Indian Woods Angels   :-) - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    Your BB should be able to keep up with the fish no problem as long as you keep adding ammonia until you put the fish in. Once they are in it should be no problem keeping up with the growth of the oscar. Just make sure you test about once a week or so especially when you notice a lot of growth in the oscar.

I think you might want to add another HOB filter. You should really have enough filtration that is rated for double your tank size. I would suggest an AquaClear 50 to add in addition to your canister.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Gogi   Your marine fish for your first marine tank, thanks for the rep - Cliff   for your AC tank - Cory Catfish   crimson my betta - Gogi   thanks for the tips - fishmommie   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gogi   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks ryann. I will start looking AC 50. I plan on using a lot of seeding materials from my other tanks.
    Roll the Dice!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    I would cycle the tank as normal prior to introducing the new fish, once in, you will get a die off of bacteria down to the level produced by the baby oscar and pleco but it will gradually recultivate as your fish grow. I cannot imagine it will be an issue as any growth will be gradual and over many months. Like Ryann suggested, test the water parameters on a scheduled basis to monitor for any readings of ammo or nitrite.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks firefly. This is going to be my first big tank and I m kinda nervous and want to make sure I plan for the future.
    Roll the Dice!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Very exciting! Do post some photos when it's set up. I would love to get a tank that big one day.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   There ya go - Fisharefriends27   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   I love my Harlequins! Thanks for the suggestion :) - kurly   

0 Not allowed!
    If I were you I would get a pleco that is bigger by a couple of inches than the Oscar at time of purchase. The pleco will grow slower than the Oscar. Very soon after buying the fish the Oscar will be able to eat the pleco. Remember that the pleco is smaller boddied than the Oscar at the same length.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed about the pleco size. The O will grow very fast while the pleco won't.

I would go with an AC 70 or a 110 and not the 50. The 50 really wouldn't add much to a 75 gallon tank.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

.`.`..`.> - korith   No Message - Northerly   thanks for all your help - fishmommie   Merry Christmas - KingFisher   Merry Christmas! - fishmommie   
    HIV/AIDS - Indian Woods Angels   Childhood Cancer - Indian Woods Angels   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think I would do the pleco at all. The oscar will just kill it later.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ldoerr
    If I were you I would get a pleco that is bigger by a couple of inches than the Oscar at time of purchase. The pleco will grow slower than the Oscar. Very soon after buying the fish the Oscar will be able to eat the pleco. Remember that the pleco is smaller boddied than the Oscar at the same length.
    Ok I'll do that shouldn't be a problem.
    Roll the Dice!