· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: At long last!

1. Default At long last!

0 Not allowed!
    It's only been a year and a half in the making but here it is...

In about two~four weeks I'll be making a trip to maidenhead aquatics with a pocket full of notes. Ready to buy my first fish tank!

I'm really just running this past you (AGAIN) because I've come to really rely on the knowledge of this forum and if anyone is going to find fault with this. It'll be you!

I've found what would appear to be a good and well priced tank, an Aquamanta eco 120

240 litre tank, 120cm long, 50cm wide and 40cm depth. Nice thick glass, cabinet included.

Also includes an external "EFX 300" filter, which looks great from the description... will probably swap a few of the components out for some decent biomedia. (Will include link to the brochure at the bottom of the post so you can check it out).

A heater which looks pretty sufficient. Also has two quite large looking T5 lights. Not enough to be called a tank with high lighting but it looks decent enough that I can grow some of the smaller, easy to maintain plants.

All this for the grand sum of 489.99. Which compared to prices I've been given for similar sized tanks, seems to be quite good. (Tank of the same size, cabinet included was all over 600~700 in the stores I've looked in).

Which leads to question one... does this seem OK? I've looked at it from every possible angle I can and it seems about right to me.

Question two is mainly my concern with the filtration.

The EFX 300 that is supplied with the tank is rated for tanks of 300litres. I'm a fan of over filtering so not overly happy with that.

As it turns out I have a second external filter of about the same size as this one. Can I run them both side by side? Are there any potential problems with this outside of too much water movement? My own research online points to that it'll be fine but may need to modify the hood a bit to allow for the additional pipes.

Will probably end up hooking one of the filters to a spray bar or something similar if they can both be used at once.

(PDF Document)
    http://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/download...r_Brochure.pdf

Thanks in advance!

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not too swell on conversions but sounds to me as this is a 63 gallon tank for the sum of almost $800 US?

I just am not seeing a super-duper buy here. I would get a tank only......then get the filters you want and the heater you want and the lights you want. And have someone (or you) build the stand.

Have you checked on used tanks for sale in the paper?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I'm not too swell on conversions but sounds to me as this is a 63 gallon tank for the sum of almost $800 US?

I just am not seeing a super-duper buy here. I would get a tank only......then get the filters you want and the heater you want and the lights you want. And have someone (or you) build the stand.
    Yeah that's spot on, a little under $800.

I'm literally judging this on similar sized aquariums that I've seen, all of which (including stand) have a been at least a 100 more. Problem I've got is, I couldn't make a stand myself and don't know anyone who could (or has the time). It'd save me a bundle if I didn't have to buy it stand included but I've got very little choice :(.

Hm, maybe I'd be better off looking online then? I'm sort of sceptical about online purchasing a tank.

Do you find the prices to be better or worse, as you're of course having to factor in shipping?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dang, can't edit. Try this again.

I've checked the papers and sites like preloved/freecycle. Main problem is that I don't drive personally, living in town I've never had the need. My father has offered to do any pick-ups, providing they was relatively nearby. None of the tanks that have come up have been close enough.

I just checked online and found the prices to be cheaper than stores, but still about the same as the Eco 120. The cheaper models that I found were either acrylic or a little too slim for my liking. (Way to sound picky!).

However, with this new found information I'm going to see if I can strike a deal the store as it's only the filter I'm not keen on.

Thanks Lady Hobbs!