· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Phosphates? How can this be?

0 Not allowed!
    My former residence always had phosphates of 2 right from the tap so when I moved here 3 years ago, I was hoping to leave the phosphates behind only to find 2 here as well. I gave up testing as it's always the same.

Last week I decided to pick up a phosphate sponge while placing my order online. Picked up one of these sponges just to try something new.

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquari...Media-Pad.aspx

Friday I did big water changes (75%) as well as adding new sponges to the AC filters, threw the canister hoses in the tub and run a brush threw them to clean the crap out of them and added a couple layers of this phosphate sponge to the filters.

Today I check for phosphates. Tap water is 0 and all 3 planted tanks are 1.

What the heck? Where did the phosphates go that's been in my tap water for 8 years. And why do I add a phosphate sponge to my tanks and have phosphates there after that big water change? I did add plant ferts but my ferts claim to be phosphate free.

I would suspect the substrate and all the goodies in it but one tank is a bare bottom tank so that idea doesn't apply there.

0 Not allowed!
    That is odd. Could you have got a false reading from the test kit ? Could the phosphate levels in your tap water be fluctuating ?

Just two guesses on my part
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Since the test appears to be working on 3 tanks, not sure why it wouldn't be working on the tap water test. My 29 gallon is actually a bit under 1.

Weird...it's like the phosphate sponges are giving me phosphates.

I wonder if it could be coming from the filter media in the canisters that I did not clean because I cleaned out the secondary filters? I've never used these phosphates sponges before and have no idea if one layer should be used or 5 or 15.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher 
    It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I seem to recall when I was running into phosphates issues that one potential source of them is run off from fertilizers into the water supply. Which if that is the case for you, would explain the potential fluctuation in your tap water.

0 Not allowed!
    I just read something and may have answered my own question. One of the things that increase phosphates are:

Filter Cleaning – Cleaning debris from the filter regularly will help reduce the sources of phosphates.