· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 79 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    My 15 is in our sunroom. Sunlight every where - north, east and south. No direct sunlight but a LOT of light. So it doesn't seem to be affecting that tank. I did have trouble with the 5 gallon when it was in there. brown algae all over my plants and formed on the glass near the substrate. When I upgraded to the 15 which has strip led lights that came with the kit, all the algae went away. But then, I couldn't keep snails alive in the 5 gal (once upon a time I had used ich meds with copper) The snails are thriving in the 15 with the exact same substrate and plants - only more of them - the betta and neons - and more of them. And no algae So who knows

My 90 is in my office which also has a lot of light but again, no direct sunlight. I'm hopeful that if I get more plants growing in that tank and get my pothos and lucky bamboo planter going AND get the nitrate factory out of my old canister and continue dosing with excel or that other product you mentioned (can't remember it now but I have it written down somewhere and am ordering some) that the brown algae will be less of an issue.
    again - this tank is heavily stocked: 3 almost adult blood parrots, 1 6 inch gold sev, 1 5 inch ebjd, 1 7 inch juru, 7 adult male congos, 2 kribs, 1 CT that refuses to be caught and 2 baby plecos. I've created part of the nitrate problem with the stocking but can't bare to part with any of them. If the full out ceramic ring media in both canisters doesn't work then I'm simply stuck with the algae and 2 W/C per week. Oh well. they're worth it :o)
    Well, there goes that theory. ;P
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Whew! That's good news. I was hoping that wouldn't dig into your new fish budget. =]

You can't get a plumber up here for $130 either. Count your blessings, Mr. Slap.

lol, Cindy... you definitely have a trouble maker on your hands. I have not had the opportunity to enjoy such an escape artist in my time as a Nerite snail keeper. ;P
    I still have FF $ that I won stashed for the rummys and the rosys, about to e-mail Anthony and check stock...I will order Monday for a (hopefully) Wednesday delivery, although I'm off of work Thursday and Friday too, in case they are delayed
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    lol, Cindy... you definitely have a trouble maker on your hands. I have not had the opportunity to enjoy such an escape artist in my time as a Nerite snail keeper. ;P
    I know right? He's going to be a challenge, that's for certain.
    And remember that big brown rabbit snail I bought several months ago? Well, he goes missing for weeks at a time. Just when I think he died and is buried in the substrate, he turns up. I can't figure that guy out at all.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Asking good questions, keep it up! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on the tank move - Slaphppy7 Thanks for being the 2000th poster on the 40B! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Stay warm!! - DeboraBremner Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    depending on where you live plumbers can cost a lot and depending on what needs to be done - I had a bad seal on a toilet that had to get fixed - was $75 last fall - service fee of $50 + parts / labor
    Current tanks:
    37G FW - 3 Pearl Gourami, 4 Black Mollies, approximately 20+ Molly Fry, 5 Assassin Snails | 10G Planted FW - 14 Molly Fry, rocks, DW and an Anubias Nana - journal
    "We come from the land of the ice and snow" | "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage | What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
    How to cycle without fishies!

1 Not allowed!
    lol, who knew snails would be such interesting pets. ;P
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

1 Not allowed!
    Every once in awhile, I'll find an RCS crunched and dried between the glass lid and the tank top trim. I have no clue how they get up there. I just crumble them up and throw them in the tank, and they get eaten, lol

Awards Showcase

Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 
    Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Whoops, he did it again!

We've got a runner, people. Found my brown nerites snail on the top of the glass lid this morning. i simply can't seal my tank any tighter or I won't be able to get in and out of the top. Looks like I'll be checking the top, sides, floor - whatever - on a daily basis for this escape artist.
    Makes life interesting - and that tells you way too much about what's happening in MY corner of the world if a run away snail causes this much excitement :o)
    I bought this (Home Depot) to secure the area around my canister hoses where they enter the tank. I can size it for a custom fit. You can also get large rubber washers at Ace Hardware. This should keep the nerites in!

2014-03-07 12.52.02.jpg
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    I bought this (Home Depot) to secure the area around my canister hoses where they enter the tank. I can size it for a custom fit. You can also get large rubber washers at Ace Hardware. This should keep the nerites in!

2014-03-07 12.52.02.jpg
    I can't for the life of me figure out what that's a photo of. Maybe my eyesight's going bad.
    In any event, Houdini was out again today - this time on top of the glass lid. What a character.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

1 Not allowed!
    I thought it was a package of salmon filets, LOL......mmmm....salmon

How in the heck does he keep getting out??....surely he's not strong enough to get past the plastic lid trim, by pushing it up just enough to slip through (?). I know you've gone over any open escape routes with a fine tooth comb...

10. Default Totally converted to bio rings.

1 Not allowed!
    I'm pooped. I just finished tearing apart BOTH canisters on my 90 and got rid of the last of the soft media. Both canisters are now filled with nothing but ceramic bio media. Well - I had to extra carbon bags from 2 new filters laying around so i rinsed them off in tank water and tossed one in each canister simply because I had a little extra room and because I figured a little BB would also colonize on the carbon. Cleaned the PFS on the intake tubes so the tank is 100% converted. I'll be posting parameters weekly for a while to let you know how it's going.

Anyway, it was an ordeal. As long as I was cleaning both canisters, I really dug into the substrate which of course stirred the water up a bit. My fish went crazy. I now have 2 pale pink blood parrots and one very pale orange one. Even the sev lost some of his color. Hopefully they'll color back up by this evening.

Also I like to run an air wand. Just like the looks of it. The wand is held down with a stirrup type weight on either end. I don't know how he did it but one of my congos got himself stuck in that stirrup during the water change. Couldn't figure out why the fish were hanging around in the back at the bottom after the tank was filled again - then I saw him struggling. I had to get my grippers to lift the wad, pull it completely out of the water and very gently push the congo through the stirrup. What a deal.

I also added my hob/planter to the back of the 90. It's filled with pothos and 2 nice tall stems of bamboo that have been floating in the water all week. The only problem is, no i can't get my canopy on the tank. So, I'll have to put hubby to work figuring out a way to make it work with the canopy.

I'm going to take a shower now. For the life of me, I can't clean a canister without getting dirty.

Page 79 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast