· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 65 of 160 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115 ... LastLast

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think she started out with a Royal Pleco, but was having a tough time getting it to eat. I think it starved itself to death.
    Without going back through the whole thread; I think his name Napoleon...?
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    Without going back through the whole thread; I think his name Napoleon...?
    Sounds about right!
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    What I had was an emperor. Hence - Napoleon. I think I was too green and so was the tank. Never should have gotten him. He was a gorgeous fish - black and white striped. Have since learned they are a bit touchy. He seemed fine - then ended up dead one day.
    Adding this Royal to a nice, established tank. I probably should have waited until the Rena was fully seeded but the water has been testing great so I thought I'd better get him while I could. Generally his plecos are so small. This guy has nice size. Fingers crossed. I paid too much, no doubt, but .... what ya going to do? Iowa isn't exactly a hot bed of fish stores so sometimes it's availability over cost :o(

Actually I spoke with Sandz today (me and JudiJ :o0 ) and he said it would be a good choice, that I would be looking at 7 - 8 inches. NOW, however, I'm reading profiles and they say they will get much larger. So ... I hope he'll be okay in this tank. If he gets too big, I guess I'll have to trade him in ... which for me, will be hard because I get too attached.
    Anyway, this is NOT him but this is what he looks like - same tail - only he's a big darker and the stripes less bold.
    th.jpg
    Last edited by fishmommie; 02-14-2014 at 02:59 AM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

1 Not allowed!
    Royal, emperor... monarchical either way. ;P

Yep, you've got about 13" of fun right there: http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/...species_id=151
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    Royal, emperor... monarchical either way. ;P

Yep, you've got about 13" of fun right there: http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/...species_id=151
    We will see how it goes. While the brown algae in my tank is much better than it used to be, I'm still dealing with enough of it on the nana leaves and rocks that it's an irritation. Yes, I know it's primarily because I've been fighting nitrates. But if this guy can help keep some of that algae cleaned up it will be a good purchase - if he turns out to be a poo machine (I know - he's a pleco, it's what they do) and creates more problems than fixes, I'll probably trade him back for a nice bristlenose. Some times you just have to experiment. And he sure is pretty :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

0 Not allowed!
    Well clearly if he gets too big for the tank you'll just have to get a bigger tank. It's really the best scenario for everyone.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

7. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    Well clearly if he gets too big for the tank you'll just have to get a bigger tank. It's really the best scenario for everyone.
    Well, no bigger tanks, thanks! As much as I love plecos, I wouldn't buy a bigger tank to accommodate one. I am confident that I can sell this guy back to the LFS, however, once he reaches the point where he's too large. And while I would have trouble parting with my BPs or the sev or the ebjd, I'll be find trading this guy back.

He's doing well. He seems to have found a hiding spot behind a vertical rock on the driftwood which means he hasn't tried to chase my little clown out of his established spot. We'll hope they continue to get along.

Oh almost forgot. Checked ammonia and nitrates just before feeding. Still showing a trace of ammonia, again, I'm assuming it's because i lost a little BB when I switched filters and anticipate that will clear up within a week or so. The good news is that nitrates are only 20ppm, much lower than they normally would have been at the end of the week without a mid week W/C. Clearly the increased filtration is making some impact simply because the nitrates that were trapped in the HOB are absent. I'll have to get a lot further in to this experiment before I can draw any conclusions on the change to all ceramic media in the canisters with only the PFS as my mechanical filtration.
    But - so far so good.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 02-14-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Good deal with the trates...it's a start, to a very interesting experiment
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Good deal with the trates...it's a start, to a very interesting experiment
    Have no illusions that anything is in play yet but the loss of the nitrates that were trapped in the HOB when I took it down - but I'm still very happy with the nitrate reading. Would normally do a W/C tomorrow but with the grand kids here we have more fun things to do :o) So I'll do it Sunday along with a partial vac like I generally do.

Awards Showcase

Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl 
    more new fish!! - SeaLady Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus 
    After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a plan, keep us updated...don't let the GK's wear you out so much that you are too tired to do your PWC, lol
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Page 65 of 160 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115 ... LastLast