· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 142 of 155 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1543

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I think it is easier to take something out of the tank than to add something to it. As far as messing with params and what not.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Awards Showcase

Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl 
    Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds good to me, your experiment isn't a wild change of things you've been doing

I know you and Kev hail the merits of that Metricide, but maybe it's the culprit(?)
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks Larry, compass and Matt.
    I don't use the metricide in the other two tanks. pH is looking good in the 30 but still runs a bit low in the 15.

IF the pH does rise without using the metricide, then I'm back to the drawing board. Since I've started using it, my tank has never looked better. I constantly fought brown algae. On the plants, on the rocks, on the driftwood, on the glass - double, triple ugly!. And this is with 0 phosphates and the tank is almost 2 years old so it's not new tank syndrom. And yes, I've tried many many methods of getting rid of it with tons of great advice from the forum. I've scrubbed the rocks and the plants. I've been diligent about weekly W/C. I've added plecos + nerites + ottos. (the cichlids killed the ottos) I've increased lighting time. I've reduced lighting time. I've made it a planted tank (because the algae was also all over my silk plants) I've tried Chemi pure and purgen - it simply wouldn't go away. I suspect the cause may be that the tank is in my office, I'm in here 8 - 10 hours a day with my office lights on and the room has a lot of windows. NO direct sunlight. None, but a lot of light in the room.
    Since I started using the metricide,however, this tank has been about 90% algae free. Heaven!

What I'm trying to say is, IF it's the metricide that's lowering the pH, then I'm going to have to try to also use the crushed coral along with it to bring the pH up a bit. I don't like that idea but I HATE the idea of going back to that nasty algae and the metricide is the ONLY thing that has worked.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 07-21-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

3 Not allowed!
    * COUGH COUGH * You know what this tank needs??........................ more crypts. I just kept adding plants till my algae disappeared.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    What I'm trying to say is, IF it's the metricide that's lowering the pH, then I'm going to have to try to also use the crushed coral along with it to bring the pH up a bit. I don't like that idea but I HATE the idea of going back to that nasty algae and the metricide is the ONLY thing that has worked.
    Roger that. I'd like to know if the metricide has an effect on pH, KH for future reference.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Roger that. I'd like to know if the metricide has an effect on pH, KH for future reference.
    I'm thinking that the metricide has no effect on the KH because the KH in all my tanks and straight out of my faucet is right in the 2 - 3 range. The KH, from what I've read, is not high enough to have a buffering effect on the pH and keep it in the 7 range where I'd like it.
    I've also read that Co2 does affect pH. Since metricide is more or less liquid Co2, I'm betting I will see an increase pH without it - along with the return of the dreaded algae.
    I'll keep you guys posted.

Compass LOL - I've tried crypts in the 90. My cichlids eat them. so far they don't bother the annubis (except to tug on a leave every once in a while) the java ferns and the Kliener Bar Swords (thank GOD) Anything else that I've added get's eaten - including a HUGE planting of rotala - boo hoo.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Well, guess you'll have to set up a refugium. That's not hard at all right?..... right??? lol Have you tried putting a few sprigs of pothos in there? Just stick them through the lid in the back. They'll grow well around the top of your tank and hopefully the fish won't eat the roots.

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    Well, guess you'll have to set up a refugium. That's not hard at all right?..... right??? lol Have you tried putting a few sprigs of pothos in there? Just stick them through the lid in the back. They'll grow well around the top of your tank and hopefully the fish won't eat the roots.
    I have pothos growing out of the top of my 30 gal. Can't make it work in the 90 because I have a canopy. Short of cutting a hole in the canopy it's not doable. These new kleiner bar swords are HUGE. I mean HUGE. They are going to eat tons of nitrates. Frankly short of some floating hornwort, I don't think there's room in the tank for more plants.
    Again - the ONLY thing that could be the source of the algae is the indirect sunlight in the room - or not enough Co2. That's why the metricide was such a miracle for me.
    I can't go back to the algae. I just can't!! bwaaa bwaaa.
    Maybe my royal is big enough by now that he can get a handle on it. Fingers crossed.
    thanks again for all the suggestions.
    (tons of crypts in my 30 and 15 BTW :o)

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    You're just trying to make this difficult. lol Good to know the 30 and 15 are well stocked with Crypts. :)

1 Not allowed!
    I'm interested in how exactly you have the Pothos set up so it grows like that out of the aquarium. Sorry, I know I'm going off topic but would love to try something similar. I have a glass versa top so would I just cut a spot for it in the plastic part at the back?
    DM's 20g high - journal

Page 142 of 155 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152 ... LastLast