· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 136 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1444
  1. Default

4 Not allowed!
    okay guys. another update.

Mid morning I noticed that both blood parrots looked pale and acted a bit lethargic. The big one was even going nose down upon occasion and listing to the side. Of course I panicked and called Per.

Since nothing had basically changed in the tank except the new plants and since I hadn't deep cleaned my canisters since I switched over to all ceramic media, we decided the best course was to do a thorough cleaning (even though Ammonia and nitrites were 0 and nitrates were around 20)

In the back of my mind was my recently lost Krib and my low pH levels.
    (Judi - BTW after drawing water in a bucket and running it with a bubbler for 24 hours, pH is 7.4 (it's 7.6 straight out of the tap) 1 hour after a 50% W/C today, it was 6.6)

Anyway. Back to the listless, colorless fish.
    I drained about 50% of the water and although I normally wouldn't clean both cans at the same time, Per and I agreed they both should be cleaned on the off chance there was something toxic in the cans.
    Since the water was down I could see the tips of my intake tubes more clearly than with plants in front of them. BOTH of them were completely clogged. NO sponges remember.

Here's what happened. Last week when we were gone, my sweet little fishies took it upon themselves to eat all the new rotala that Kevin had sent me. And trust me, there was a lot. And a LOT of the debris from their rotala fest ended up inside the ends of my intake tubes. You could barely see if from the outside - that's why i didn't think of clogged intake tubes first.

Anyway, several hours of cleaning later, I now have bright orange and active blood parrots again and it's clear that the others are much more active too.

Remember when I was gone for 18 days and the hubby had to deal with a dead BP? Bless him, he discovered that the pre-filter sponges on my intake tubes were clogged, cleaned them and saved the rest of the fish.

This is like deja vu all over again :o( Once again, the clogged intake tubes depleted the oxygen exchange and the poor little guys were suffocating. It's probably what did my Krib in - he just succumbed to it faster than the others.

I'm really angry at myself over this. I was astonished to see those rotala gone and even looked for floating debris - but there was none. There were so many 1/2 inch to 1 inch stem pieces inside each of those slotted tips on the intake tubes, it looked like a beaver dam inside. Not to mention rotted leave debris had also stuck to them.

Anyway, I HOPE I have solved today's problem and the mystery of the krib's death. I've also added and airstone to the tank. Just a little added insurance that we've got some oxygen exchange going.

I'm still ordering the crushed coral in the hopes of upping the pH a bit so I don't have to worry about that issue.

Thanks again, Per for talking me down LOL and talking me through this.

BTW - for those of you wondering - my cans weren't any dirtier with just the ceramic media than they were when I also used sponges and floss in the cans. There was definitely some gunk and brown water in the bottom but over all, cleaner than I had expected after almost 6 months (yes, I said 6 months and don't beat me because I had lost complete track of time or never would have let it go that long).

Fingers crossed all is back in harmony....and apologies for the lengthy post.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 07-16-2014 at 01:12 AM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Wow...no pre filter sponges, correct?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

5 Not allowed!
    Cindy - great job in dealing with such a stress in such a sure and decisive mannor. Im glad I could help a bit but at the end of the day, you did this on your own and did a damn good job. Just shows how far you have come. GREAT job.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Wow...no pre filter sponges, correct?
    That's right Matt. I'm scared of having anything over the intake tubes in THIS tank because of what happened in May while I was gone for so long and so I haven't been using them.

the tips of these intake tubes didn't look clogged. I'd have discovered the blockage tomorrow which was when I was planning on doing my W/C because I always clean the ends of the tubes then. But when those fish had grown so pale and listless, I knew I had to do something today.

What a deal, huh? Damned if you use the sponges, damned if you don't. As for the mesh (because I know you will bring it up) in this situation they would have been completely clogged too. No two ways about it - possibly even more so than the bare slotted tips because there was at least some wiggle room with them.

Big sigh. Just glad my fishies are okay now.
    always something, right?
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Cindy - great job in dealing with such a stress in such a sure and decisive mannor. Im glad I could help a bit but at the end of the day, you did this on your own and did a damn good job. Just shows how far you have come. GREAT job.
    Once again - so glad you and the rest of the crew are so available when something odd ball like this happens.
    Has anyone else ever had this trouble?? I don't recall ever seeing any posts about depleted oxygen and clogged intake tubes...
    Is it because I'm from Iowa??? :o)

Awards Showcase

poor baby.  here's your beer after your difficult week - fishmommie And here' the box of tissues I didn't use crying because I feel so bad for you :o) - fishmommie have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 have a cyber-miller for 9,000 posts! - steeler58 it has been a rough work week and it's 5'o clock somewhere - cm12setx 
    Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed.

When I first started fishkeeping with Lauren's 10 gallon, and had no clue what I was doing, every fish that we lost ended up stuck to the filter intake tube, we never had "floaters", that we found anyway.

From then on, I feel it's my responsibilty to at least take a look, just takes a second to check. But I've a tendency to try and hide the PU tube with plants, decor, etc., so it takes a bit of extra effort, which I gladly handle.

I've picked up the habit, from that experience, of checking every pick-up tube nightly before I go to bed, and in the morning before I leave for work.

I feel that this habit has helped me keep an eye on any clogging issues that may occur and what I need to do about them, in an emergency situation.

It's a habit I don't mind having.

I'm so glad you caught it in time and will be on the look out for it now though, Cindy, like Per said, great job.

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I've picked up the habit, from that experience, of checking every pick-up tube nightly before I go to bed, and in the morning before I leave for work. I feel that this habit has helped me keep an eye on any clogging issues that may occur and what I need to do about them, in an emergency situation.
    Thanks again, Matt and you can bet I'll be watching those intake tubes like a hawk.
    It sure is good to see these guys bugging each other tonight instead of floating around listlessly. Back to usual, they are just like kids - poke, poke, poke - trying to see if they can get a rise out of someone :o)
    Feisty is definitely better than sluggish.

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

3 Not allowed!
    Always makes you feel good when you can do something on your own :)
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Thanks again, Matt and you can bet I'll be watching those intake tubes like a hawk.
    It sure is good to see these guys bugging each other tonight instead of floating around listlessly. Back to usual, they are just like kids - poke, poke, poke - trying to see if they can get a rise out of someone :o)
    Feisty is definitely better than sluggish.
    No problem, just throwing some hints out there that may or may not help...I prefer "may", lol

I've another observation/comment for you...the flow, the current are noticeably diminished in my tank when the water flow becomes restricted...of course, I can't see the actual WATER flow through the tank, but I can see it's affects, with long-leaved plants moving about and the shimmering effects of the lighting

Next time your filter PU tubes begin to clog a bit, see if you notice any difference in the 'flow" of your tank...it's another thing I've noticed with mine, that I can actually "see" it, when the current I'm used to is less than optimal

It's a result of staring at, and being used to, the same "old" tank for all of these months, and knowing how it should look and "feel", I suppose
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 07-16-2014 at 02:44 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear you found and fixed a issue. and it is good to to have the great people here.
    What brand of canister are you using?
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

Page 136 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138 ... LastLast