· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post crayfish breeding set up

0 Not allowed!
    Ok not actually seting one up as of now, because my parents are renting till we can find a house. But I can only have one tank, and I am planing my future tanks, and I just am fasinated by these crays, there aren't males and they physicaly clone themselves, so I wanted to set up a breeding set up when I move, and after I upgrade main tank.

Here's my idea a 20 gallon long tank with smooth natural looking gravel, and PVC pipes, terra cotta pots, and rocks to provid hiding places for the crays.
    here's what i want to put in for plants, duckweed, java moss, hornwort, pennywort, and plastic plants.
    Here's my idea for total stock, marble crayfish, juvenile mosquitofish, and some RCS or ghost shrimp for a clean up crew.

And here's my idea for set up,
    i will have a 20 gallon long main tank with whats listd above, and i would put berried females in a 2 gallon kritter keeper/plant growing tank, with a sponge filter and gravel, when fry are 1" i will move them into breeder boxes with hoods, air stone for 2-3 weeks and then put in main tank and repeat process.

main tank will have a HOB filter, and a sponge filter, with a incadescent hood, and a glass hood so they dont get out.
    kritter keeper will have a sponge filter rated for 5 gallons and light from tank or tanks i guess you could say.
    breeder boxes will have a air stone.

so thats what my Marble Crayfish Breeding Setup will be like, i'm open to suggestions and constructive critisism, thanks
    Last edited by aquariumlover10; 08-10-2014 at 01:08 AM.
    A true aquarist knows what it feels like to step on a sharp piece of gravel
    do as I say, not as I do- William
    Sandy hook, need lest we forget- steeler58
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58 Tank looks great, congrats! - Slaphppy7 Here's to a safe delivery!! - steeler58 Congrats!! - Taurus For getting your fish safe and sound! - gronlaura 
    Congrats on the new fish!  well done! - Slaphppy7 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 Have a nice Memorial weekend! - steeler58 Have a nice Memorial weekend! - steeler58 
    For hyjacking your thread, but that Matt........ - steeler58 Here's to Marbles Hatchets & RCS! Congrats! - Slaphppy7 To another safe delivery. - steeler58 new fish - cm12setx For the new fish!!  Bottoms up! - gronlaura 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thank you! - steeler58 Have a beer to make your day better :) - steeler58 Have a beer to make your day better :) - steeler58 For the kind words in Matts journal ;) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know much about crayfish, but would they find the RCS as possible food sources? Are they bigger than the RCS? Guess I better research. I remember back when I was a kid, my uncles catching crawdads. Are they the same thing?.... I think they used them for fishing

0 Not allowed!
    well sorda i thought the RCS would be a good food source and a clean up crew they would probaly out breed the crays stomachs though. yeah they get a max of 3" , and where first discovered in the german aquarium trade.
    I think if someone thinks clownfish are called nemos they should banned from keeping sw tank.

0 Not allowed!
    here's some info i gathered online from a guy that breeds them as a food source for his puffers, ususally have eggs every 1.5-2 months. usually around 2" when they start breeding. they physically clone them selves because all of them are females they are Parthenogenetic which by what i know means they clone themselves down to every markking on there shell to every cenimeter of DNA.
    Last edited by aquariumlover10; 08-10-2014 at 01:24 AM.

Awards Showcase

sorry for your loss. - cm12setx T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Enjoy the 4th my friend! - Taurus Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny 
    for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 
    Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 
    Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 

2 Not allowed!
    Great job on the post AL10! :) Very well written, you don't sound like the same person. You sound much older. Good job buddy!

As for your crawfish they will try and eat your fish and your shrimp. It's just their way. You can keep them in a 20 gallon, but with much else. As far as breeding is concerned I would think that something larger than a kritter keeper would be better for you. Even a five gallon tank. You can get those really cheap. Plus, you have time to save up money since you must wait till you move.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

1 Not allowed!
    no no this is not my upgraded tank this will be another 20 gallon and the fish and shrimp are a live food/cleanup crew so there suppose to get eaten and thanks for the you sound older. yeah the kritter keeper is for the first while then i will get a five gallon, with money i got selling the crays i will probaly sell for $5 bucks apiece its cheaper then most places, but i still get cash out of it, i may also sell them as fish bait, i would freeze before of course.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    good job man
    looking forward to this thread :)
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

0 Not allowed!
    Fish keeping costs money; it doesn't make money.

Shrimp are a good food for crayfish - gets them essential nutrients they need like calcium and iodine. Don't expect there to be a colony of shrimp living alongside the crayfish.

Crayfish are a clean up crew - there's no need to clean up after the clean up crew.

Crayfish are aquatic bulldozers. They eat and destroy plants. Even plastic ones.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So Im guessing no plants are good for a cray tank?
    When everything goes without a hitch its only then do you realize something is wrong

0 Not allowed!
    Java moss....
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10