· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Default Laura's 100 gallon FW planted

2 Not allowed!
    At Silbar's suggestion, I'm starting a journal for my 100 gallon tank.

As I mentioned in my introduction post, I just moved this tank to the living room. Here it can be enjoyed by the whole family and is much more accessible for maintenance. This is an old tank, probably 10 years old or a bit more. It's been running the whole time except for brief shutdowns to be moved a couple of times, and it's always had the same gravel substrate. However, I had let it become fish-free (I just didn't replace fish that passed on). So I am starting over, except for rocks and driftwood.

Tank Specifications: 60" long x almost 21" tall x 19" wide, glass
    Equipment: Magnum Pro 350 canister filter with two Bio-Wheel 30s; two under gravel filters, each powered by an AquaClear 50 power head; Aqueon heater; moonlights; 4 LED 14W full-spectrum light panels; glass covers; wooden stand and canopy
    Substrate: Gravel, white and mixed shades of brown
    Decor: Driftwood (can't remember what kind, since I've had it for years), slate rocks

I plan to disconnect the under gravel filters when I plant the tank. For the time being I'll leave the powerheads running for water movement and gas exchange. The Bio-Wheels will still be there for biological filtration.

Water Parameters:
    pH: 6.8 -7.0 (my tap is usually around 7.0pH); 0 ammonia; 0 nitrites; 10 ppm nitrates; 150ppm GH - 8.4 degrees if I did the conversion right; I need to get a KH test kit.

I'm working on a stocking plan. So, there will be stocking questions in this thread later. I have plants on order, which should get here sometime this. In the meantime, I am refining the placement of the rocks and driftwood.

That brings me to question number one: Is superglue (cyanoacrylate) still considered a good choice for glueing rocks together in an aquarium? I have some small cave and tunnel structures made of the slate rock, and I have a tendency to bump them when I clean the tank. I'd like to hold them together so that doesn't keep happening.

Thanks!

2 Not allowed!
    Superglue is handy for attaching plants to DW and rocks and such, but I'm not sure how well it would bond slate together...I believe I'd use aquarium safe silicone for that

I've used the silicone to "glue" large DW pieces to slate with excellent results.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

3. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Silicone will keep rocks together, but the wait time is 1-2 days for drying. You can use the same epoxy used to glue coral together.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year!....no whsikey at the shop, sorry - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep! - Silbar Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep! - Anders247 

3 Not allowed!
    Looking forward to watching this develop! I love a stocking list!
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Seachem has aquarium glue. Takes like 20 seconds(even submerged) to hold.

Pretty good stuff.
    Kit's Tanks o' Fish
    50 Gallon| South American Cichlids
    26 Gallon Bowfront| Tetra/Shrimp

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep! - BluewaterBoof Thanks for the Rep - Strider199 Have a tetra for the new fish ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep! - Wolfgang Thanks for the tetra and TGIF to you ;-) - steeler58 
    Congrats on starting your cycle! - ah00471 Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7 Congrats -- the first inhabitants due to move into your cycled tank! - RiversGirl Hoping everything works out and you get delivery of your fish tomorrow.  I empathize with your stress and concern for the health and safety of the fish. - SueD Sorry for you UPS screw up, have a clover for some luck tomorrow ;-) - steeler58 
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar 

3 Not allowed!
    Glad to see you started a journal. I will be following.
    75G , 75G, 20L,10G, 20G and 5.5G

2 Not allowed!
    When making caves I always used silicone, just left it to cure 48 hours to make sure it was entirely safe before putting it in the tank. The times I used superglue gel it was for plants-never for building caves or with rocks.
    75g- Heavily planted/DW. Stock: 3 emperor, 2 cardinal tetras, 11 Pseudomugil furcatus, 7 gourami, too many cory, 3 oto, 3 Dojo loaches, 10 kuhli loach, 3 plecos, nerite/mystery/mts/assassin snails, and 6 amano shrimp
    Two 5.5g- Planted, each with female Betta (Baby & Aurora)
    10g- Planted, pea puffer-(Diva)
    20L- Bloody Mary shrimp, boraras rasbora
    20L- Blue Pearl/blue dream shrimp, Pygmy Cory, Ember tetras and CPD

75g:
    10-20L Shrimp tank
    Future 40B Goldfish tank
    Probiotic trial

Awards Showcase

Sorry for the loss of you "braveheart" it's a guppy but we don't have endlers ;-) - steeler58 Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas! - Anders247 Happy Friday, Deb! - BluewaterBoof 
    Thanks for the nice compliment on Spardas's thread ;-) - steeler58 Good luck with the testing! - Slaphppy7 No endlers but have a guppy for all your hard work ;-) - steeler58 Happy Easter and thanks for the Rep! - Silbar Thank you for the Endlers!!! - Boundava 

3 Not allowed!
    Oh boy a new journal on a big tank! Yay. Photos please, we love photos. Can't wait to see your stocking list.

1 Not allowed!
    I'm excited to follow along on your rebuild!

4 Not allowed!
    I tried to take photos earlier, but daylight tank photography isn't going to work in that room. There are just too many reflections. Hopefully I can try photographing the tank tonight and post photos tomorrow. It's not terribly exciting to look at yet.

I got a shipping confirmation today on the plants. They are now in the USPS' (hopefully) gentle hands. It's an assortment of swords, crypts, anubias, some java fern, and stem plants. In essence, I am trying a bunch of types of (mostly) easy to grow plants and I will see what does well. I have Flourish tabs on hand (for the swords and crypts) and some long tweezers ready for the planting.

I think my tank lights are brighter than the anubias prefer, so I plan to attach them to rocks and tuck them under the edge of the larger driftwood pieces where they will get some shade. I can always bring them out from underneath the wood if I decide they need more light, but I don't want them to get leaf scorch.

I read somewhere a reference to cleaning aquarium plants to avoid any unwanted hitchhikers (snail eggs, etc.). Can someone tell me how to do that or point me in the right direction?