· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Jason's 255G FW Journal

1 Not allowed!
    Hey guy's;

This is my long awaited 255 gallon fresh water journal.

For several years I have had small tanks ranging from 10 to 37 gallons and have always wanted a large tank. In August of last year I finally made the decision to get rid of all my tanks except for the 37g and purchase a 255g tank.

In September I took the plunge and had the 255g custom ordered and the tank was ready for pick up at the end of the month. After purchasing most of the equipment I then had to make the decision on what kind of a stand I was going to need as no place local made stands for tanks this size. After some thought I called the company I had make this aquarium and ask them how they build their stands and was not overly impressed with their designs. I then took the winter to research different kinds of stands to build myself. After researching both wood and metal stand designs I finally made the decision to build a metal stand for this tank.

Finally in April I made the purchase for the metal then I hit a snag as my home renovations did not happen as planed. After almost 3 months of waiting I made the decision to measure and cut most of the metal so I could start welding up the stand. So today I finally had a free weekend so decided to set up all my equipment and start welding the stand up as we have had good weather lately, get everything set up and what happens, it starts to rain never fails. After about 3 hours the rain stopped and I was finally able to get some welding done.

Pictures will come later when I learn how to do it. Comments, feedback and suggestions are welcomed on all aspects of this project.

I will be doing a South American biotope.

No stocking decisions have been made, however I have been leaning towards a large school of Silver Dollars.
    Will most likely be planted.

Tank and Equipment

Tank - 255g
    Filtration - 2 FX5's ( will be adding a HOB filter and thinking about adding a FX6 also)
    Heater - 2 300 watt 1 250 watt
    substrate - black sand
    Lighting - unknown at this time

Hope you enjoy my journey, Jason
    255 gallon in progress
    37 gallon community

0 Not allowed!
    Looking forward to seeing this set-up develop

What are the dimensions of this tank ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Cliff,

The dimensions of the tank are 72x24x34
    255 gallon in progress
    37 gallon community

0 Not allowed!
    I hope you look in to led lighting for this tank. and cant wait to here more on this monster build.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    cm12setx,

thanks for the suggestion about led lighting, something I need to do more research on as I don't know that much about them.
    255 gallon in progress
    37 gallon community

0 Not allowed!
    Like them for long bulb life, less heat and i think lower power use. I think leds can offer better light values at deeper tanks depths. Mesured by what is called par value. Look in to finnex and currant leds. My oppion these two offer best value for fetures. I am using a finnex and Slaphppy7 uses currant. If you look at our journals there are pics. Ih and g???laura in jurnal dule 29. Has great pics of currant. Have fun looking.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just a quick update on my tank stand progress. I got all my material cut to size, got the top and bottom bases welded. Now I hope I did this right and here are some pictures of my progress as I have been having problems with my picture size so here goes. 20140621_145017 (500x281).jpg tank 016 - Copy (640x360).jpg support members 032 (640x360).jpg top and bottom bases
    255 gallon in progress
    37 gallon community

Awards Showcase

Sharring my winnings - steeler58 Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny for giving a catfish its first taste of human. - cm12setx pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie For being MOTM - steeler58 
    looking forward to more rapid river videos - showmebutterfly A little late, but congrats MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Congrats on 3,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 A Cory for Mr 3,000 - steeler58 you could be famous! - SeaLady 
    For following through on a dare! - steeler58 For having a big heart and caring :) - steeler58 Have a cup of joe for the good converstion this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    for playing the cory game - cm12setx Congrats on 3,900, they don't have kuhliis, LOL - Slaphppy7 cycled your river tank - cm12setx Congrats on 4,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 Have a "bluegil" for passing 4,000! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Looks great. I know a little about welding and those are from here that looks like a very nice welding job. Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

9. Default

1 Not allowed!
    A large school of silver dollars would look great in there. But you're limited on plant selection if you don't want them eaten. I have just 2 silver dollars and I've found that they are OK with the crinum natans or crinum calamistratum (I don't have these any more after a tank tear down due to MTS). I now have all silk plants and one very large live anubias in there with them. They took a bite out of a tender new leaf, but left it alone after that. They seemed OK with sword plants I had in the past also. But any stem plants were just mowed down.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just spent most of the week researching LED lights so I have made no progress on my tank stand hopefully I can get the welding finished this weekend. As for the LED's I have contacted Finnex, Currant and Build my led and I am waiting for replies from them.
    255 gallon in progress
    37 gallon community