· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Post The Adventures of a 20G Planted Tank

2 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone! I thought I'd throw together a log of my Tank's life so far, it includes pictures!

My 20 G Tank Adventure! (<-- click here for the album)

Tank specs:
    20 Gallon Tall tank - 24 x 12 x 16 inches
    Marineland Pinguin 150 Filter - Added Filter media from my already established tank, to help it cycle faster
    100W heater
    LED lights build into tank hood, includes blue LED's

Decorations:
    Anubias sp.
    Java Fern
    Rosanervig sp.
    Hygrophila sp.
    Moss Ball - seeded from established tank
    Blue plastic plant of doom
    Skull Rock
    Floating plant hide
    Driftwood
    Tall plastic plant things (hopefully to be eventually replaced by real plants?)

So it's day 18 of the tank's life so far, everything is humming along swimmingly (see what I did there...)

Currently stocked:
    1 Powder blue dwarf Gourami - nicknamed Blue
    2 Honey Gourami - nicknamed Mulder & Scully
    1 Flower Shrimp - Ebi (also a ninja)
    2 Albino Cory Cats
    2 Peppered Cory Cats
    2 Kribs - aka Mr. & Mrs. Kribs

Originally we had planned for a type of German Ram to be in the tank, but the Hubby fell for the Kribs since they were way more active in the tank at the LFS.
    Well that put my stocking plan on AqAdvisor into a tizzy, suddenly we were overstocked! GAH! We also wanted to add some Amano Shrimp into the mix to help with clean up crew...

Then a lightbulb light up in my mind, years back when I rescued a rat (I named her Splinter and she was fantastic) I quickly ran out to my local Wallmart and snagged anything that would hold her, it happened to be a 10G fishtank kit. Somewhere in the depths of Tartarus (aka my parent's basement) there was a brand new, unused filter.

One mini adventure later, the tank now has an Aqua Tech 5-15 running in parallel to my Penguin 150. Woohoo Over filtration! There ain't filtration like over filtration!

So for now, We wait letting the tank age a bit more before adding Shrimpy friends to help clean things up.

Thank you for listening!
    We'll be back again, same bat time, same bat channel.

And Feedback is always appreciated!
    Last edited by Argentis; 01-28-2015 at 09:36 PM.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on MOTM! - Slaphppy7 Here's to MOTM ;-) - steeler58 cheers! - RiversGirl love the new fish - SeaLady Yay for new fish ;-) - steeler58 
    Another Rummy for passing 2,000 - steeler58 After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed some color! - Plecos T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! Miss seeing you online! - showmebutterfly 
    Merry Christmas - steeler58 Merry Christmas &amp; Happy New Year! - Plecos Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year!! - SeaLady Thx for the nomination. - pRED 
    Thx for the nomination - pRED right back at cha :o) - fishmommie T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly You are a superman for hanging in there with this tank. - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

The link is for cycling a tank with fish in it. It was good to use seeded media but you will still need to check the ammonia levels. So what are the a,Monica, nitrite and nitrate levels.
    Fishes go "pook pook"
    my spell check went on vaction.
    my Mts storie:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=117355

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cm12setx View Post
    So what are the a,Monica, nitrite and nitrate levels.
    Thanks for worrying about my fishies Cm12setx! My tank is cycling nicely (photos of my earlier chemistry results are in my album I posted), I also used ATM's Cycle to help kick start things off.

Chemistry Results:

Jan 28th - Ammonia <0.25ppm, Nitrite <0.25ppm, Nitrate 5-10 ppm (pre partial water change)

January 29th results: pH 7.6, Ammonia 0.25ppm, Nitrite <0.25ppm, Nitrate 5ppm

0 Not allowed!
    Jan 30th -

The Kribs seem to be prepping for parenthood... And getting more angry at the other tank mates.
    One of the Honey Gourami is missing part of one of it's feeler-things, I can only guess that Mr. Kribs was kicking ass and taking names.

It's Mr. that is being a grump, more so than Mrs.. Mrs. is protective of the skull and the driftwood, but doesn't care much about anything else in the tank. Mr. on the other hand will prowl the tank looking for a fight.
    I'm expecting to see fry within the next week or so.

- I'm planning ahead and stripping down an old 10G tank that's currently set for Geckos. I hope that I don't have to pull them out, would ruin my 'overfiltration' situation as I'd be stealing the AquaTech 5-15 for the 10G.

In other news, one of the Albino Cory Cats has decided that it much rather swim around the mid upper tank for funsies. I'm quite confused and intrigued by it, I'm starting to wonder if this is also attributed to the newlyweds...

It seems the only thing Mr. & Mrs. aren't bothering is Ebi... Why, I don't know, maybe they think it's part of the plants. Either case, Ebi had a shed the other night, yay!

Does anyone know a way to cool down the Kribs' aggressive behaviors to the rest of the tank?

1 Not allowed!
    When the kribs have fry they become very aggressive, only way to prevent it is:

1. large enough tank they have their own space
    2. split them up - no more breeding
    3. their own tank

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure what's happened here, but it seems like my Cycle is stalling?!

Ammonia was at 1.0ppm this morning, did a 50% WC as soon as I saw that.
    Nitrate and Nitrite both appear at 0ppm.

Checked my Ammonia a few hours later and it was at .5ppm, Did a 20% WC to drop it down some more.

Is it just an overload on my Biofilter? I'm keeping a close eye on everyone. I'm also wondering if by my feeding Bloodworm two days prior could have done this?

Awards Showcase

Right back at ya -- cheers! - RiversGirl T.G.I.F.! - Boundava I don't like to drink alone,...  Cheers !!! - Cliff Cheers! - cajunqn81 T.G.I.S. - Taurus 
    Thank you for all of your help as I learn! - Silbar Here's to spring!! - steeler58 You need a cory - Boundava Here's to Rob and Friday the 13th ;-) - steeler58 TGIF, indeed - RiversGirl 
    Lite beer for 19,000 - steeler58 For being a Super forum member and friend. - Taurus A heart for your big heart :o) and for Toby and Ginger - fishmommie Bit of luck for St. Patty's Day. - Taurus Thanks for the dubiously deserved rep...here's a non-dead fish.  Maintenance guy must be doing his job. - WhistlingBadger 
    TGIF starting early! - Boundava Dog Dad!!! - Rue Relax! - cajunqn81 For passing Cliff ;-) - steeler58 Here's to shrimp! - Silbar 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    What water conditioner do you use?...which test kit?

Cycling with fish requires you to check params daily, and in many cases, daily WC's
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I use the API master freshwater kit and a LFS brand (Big Al's) water conditioner (for now).

The thing is, is that my tank was cycling nicely for the last week and a bit, getting nice readings on ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. Nothing in the tank has changed except that I fed them blood worm as a treat twice in the last 4 days.

Awards Showcase

Right back at ya -- cheers! - RiversGirl T.G.I.F.! - Boundava I don't like to drink alone,...  Cheers !!! - Cliff Cheers! - cajunqn81 T.G.I.S. - Taurus 
    Thank you for all of your help as I learn! - Silbar Here's to spring!! - steeler58 You need a cory - Boundava Here's to Rob and Friday the 13th ;-) - steeler58 TGIF, indeed - RiversGirl 
    Lite beer for 19,000 - steeler58 For being a Super forum member and friend. - Taurus A heart for your big heart :o) and for Toby and Ginger - fishmommie Bit of luck for St. Patty's Day. - Taurus Thanks for the dubiously deserved rep...here's a non-dead fish.  Maintenance guy must be doing his job. - WhistlingBadger 
    TGIF starting early! - Boundava Dog Dad!!! - Rue Relax! - cajunqn81 For passing Cliff ;-) - steeler58 Here's to shrimp! - Silbar 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Just keep up with your WC's daily, enough to reduce ammonia to .25 ppm or less....get some Seachem Prime for your next water conditioner....the bloodworms should not affect the water chemistry, unless you are overfeeding and they are building up in the tank and rotting

BW's are a protein-rich food, that I only feed once a week as a treat
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!

Noticed this slowly happening to my bubble bar in the tank, it's slowly turning white.. I've never used a bar before, only a bubble stone, so I'm not sure what to think of it