· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Stocking Strategy for New Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I'm busy doing a fish-in cycle of my 70g tank with 5 Danios and 4 Tiger Barbs. At this stage, I want to begin planning a long term stocking strategy, to be implemented gradually after the cycling is complete, and need a bit of help with this.

As background:
    a) For filtration I have a Fluval 404 and a Marineland Hot 250 Magnum. The total filtration capacity is about 140G I believe. Not that I plan to overstock, I just like the idea of extra filtration capacity. I have a lot of cover in the form of plastic plants (I will be adding some real plants later), large rocks and wood. Plenty of hiding places. I have "regular" size gravel, and am thinking about adding sandy areas for loaches. I do have very short plastic grass covering the open areas. It looks great, but is a bit "spikey" and I have a concern that it may be unsuitable for bottom dwellers.

b) I should also mention that my tank is warm. In the summer, the house's temperature is about 26C (79F), so its not abnormal for the water to reach 28C (82F). In the winter the heater will kick in to keep the temp constant. What I'm saying is that my tank will be running at the warmer edge of the spectrum.

I'll start off by mentioning my favourite kinds of fish (with no regard to compatibility), and I'd really appreciate it if you could suggest options taking compatibility in mind. Please suggest other species because my list is only a starting point.

1)Clown Loaches. I absolutely love these fish and consider these a must have - everything else needs to be compatible with them. Any other loaches recommended, because I really like this category in general?

To follow through on the plastic grass and sand. Should I remove the grass? Is there a low growing, spreading grass that would look good in the open, front area of the tank? How about creating some sandy area's - may be good for the loaches?

2) Cory catfish - a big variety. I like them, but dont want too much competition for space at the bottom (with loaches).

3) Shrimp - never kept them before, but they sure add interest.

4) Algae eaters (Otos are sometimes mentioned as good, busy housecleaners). Obviously I wont rely on these to keep the tank clean, but they may help with housekeeping. I don't want any plecs (too big).

5) Middle dwelling, active, tight-schooling fish. I currently have Tiger Barbs, and I'm unsure about their overall compatibility with community tanks. I like them, but have a concern about fin-nipping. Any other suggestions, because I can return them if necessary? Harlequin Rasbora's come to mind, although they are not the most colourful.

6) Gourami's - another category that I like. Amazing colours. I would love to attempt breeding, but I realise this is difficult in a community tank. Perhaps a few peaceful cichlids? Some tetra's (e.g. long finned red tetra's, neons, etc) would be good too.

7) Top dwelling, active, tight-schooling fish. Since I started with Danios, perhaps a few more.

As may be obvious, generally I like colourful fish although I don't have much interest in livebearers such as platty's and guppies.

On a final note, if you know of links to an encyclopedia of fishes, where I can continue my research, please share.

Sorry for the looooong post. Eagerly looking forward to your comments and suggestions.
    70g Freshwater Tank (48 x 18 x 19)
    Fluval 404 + Marineland HOT 250 Magnum Filters
    2 x 300W Heaters
    Gravel, Plastic Plants, Rocks and Wood
    Fish - Semi Aggressive

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Clown loaches can reach 14inches and are a schooling species so 6-8 of them is needed if you want to keep them, I think your 70G will be too small for them.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 again Scotti. I wouldn't put two bottom feeders in the same tank, unless it's 150G+.

Cories are also schooling species, so needs 6-8 minimum. The more the merrier for them.

Also, Are you keeping the tiger barbs? If so, I suggest that you only have the tiger barbs and possibly the danios and nothing else for mid and top dwelling fish. TBs are notorious fin nippers and will nip any fish with flowing fins and slow moving, esp. the gourami.

I would recommend upping the numbers of both specie to around 20 each. You will enjoy them better.

If you remove the TBs, then you can put the harlequins with the danios, around 20 or so will work as well. Plus you can have ONE gourami with the harlequins.

Lastly, there are no "tight" schooling fish. If your fish schools tightly, then that means they are either stressed or threatened, and I don't think you want a stressed fish just for a tight school, right? Schooling fish don't really school when they are comfortable in the tank.
    Da name's Paul. Not Dave. ROFL

Learn to give and take. That's how things should always work.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pjaldave
    Also, Are you keeping the tiger barbs? If so, I suggest that you only have the tiger barbs and possibly the danios and nothing else for mid and top dwelling fish. TBs are notorious fin nippers and will nip any fish with flowing fins and slow moving, esp. the gourami.

If you remove the TBs, then you can put the harlequins with the danios, around 20 or so will work as well. Plus you can have ONE gourami with the harlequins.
    Thanks for the point about schooling - I would have been concerned why they weren't schooling.

If I decided not to keep the tiger barbs, would a few pairs of dwarf gourami's be suited to the middle of the tank?

As an alternative to clown loaches, how about yoyo, zebra or other loaches?
    2 x 300W Heaters
    Fish - Semi Aggressive

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldnt advise anymore than 1 gourami per tank, they are mega territorial, your 70G 'could' house 2 dwarf gouramis but ONLY if your tank was totally planted, so they basically never ever see eachother.

yoyo loaches would be ok I think
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    I would pass on the clowns and get 6-yoyo's or kuhlui loaches. Your tank is too small for clowns. Altho they do grow slow, you will still be under pressure to have to buy a bigger tank in a few years.

There is no reason to have various types of bottom dwellers and no need for otto's at all if you don't have a planted tank.

Since you have started stocking with Tiger Barbs, I would leave this tank as a barb tank. Get some albino, rosy and green Barbs as well as more Tigers and have yourself a nice, active all-Barb tank.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm busy consolidating the feedback and my own research. One I have narrowed down my strategy, I'll post again to see if there are any final "watch outs".

Thank you for your feedback.
    2 x 300W Heaters
    Fish - Semi Aggressive

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well the TB are going back (they terrorised the danios)

This is my plan for stocking my tank.
    I will phase in 1-2 species at a time and obviously I will need a larger tank once the loaches in particularly get large.
    Please comment on possible issues you see with this combination and suggest better options:

4 Clown Loaches
    6 Boesemans Rainbow Fish
    5 Killifish
    1 Keyhole Cichlid
    1 Angelfish
    1 Cockatoo
    10 Harlequin Rasbora
    2 x 300W Heaters
    Fish - Semi Aggressive