· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Default Cat lady starts a 60g

0 Not allowed!
    I guess I should start my own journal thread, as I haven't done that yet... I actually hadn't even looked at the journals until today and WOW what a great source of info. lol. Silly me.

Anyway, had a $100 gift card to pet store chain from my mom who knows my BF and I are too broke to convert our 60 gallon FW tank to SW, which has long been our plan. Right now the tank is pretty grimy, with 1 AC HOB filter (which I will clean out and put a fresh sponge/carbon insert in), and has an angelfish living in it. No idea what I'm going to do with the angel lol, he's too mean to my discus so he can't go in the other tank... he may have to find a new home on Craigslist.

So with my 100 bucks I got 60 lbs of aragonite substrate, enough salt water mix for my tank, and a hydrometer. Now I just have to wait til the next paycheck to get some dry and live rock and get this thing goin. But it's a start!

Now I am off to transport the angel to my tiny (hospital) tank for the time being and scrub out my 60g. Will update soon.
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats
    "The seaweed is always greener in somebody else's lake." -Sebastian the crab

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the salty side!! My only advice is read everything you can get your hands on or click on haha
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

3. Default Day 1

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the welcome! Yes I have been doing a lot of reading, and plan to do plenty more!

So here is an idea of what I'm starting out with... not very exciting yet I know. But it's a clean slate... well not TOTALLY clean yet... still trying to figure out how to get that last inch or so of water out of the old tank... I suppose I'll have to recruit someone to help me actually lift it and tip it over? The siphon will not cooperate at such a shallow depth.

I'm buying some "dead" live rock from CL that was once used in a marine tank but is now long since dried out... 55 lbs of Fiji premium rock that the original owner bought live at the time. He wants $75 for it, which I think is more than fair considering what I was going to pay online, so I'm pretty stoked about that. With that I can build the foundation of the aquascape as there are some large pieces included, and then use live rock for the remainder.

I hope that 2 lbs per gallon won't be too much rock altogether considering I am not starting out with intentions of a reef. Notice how "starting out" has crept in there when I was originally set on FOWLR. Hmm.

So now I have to brace myself for the price of getting between 35 and 65 lbs of actual live rock... and I'm pretty set on getting it fully cured. Has anyone used AquariumArts before for online ordering of live rock? They seem legit, though not cheap by any means...

I'll post progress with the dry Fiji rock when I pick it up.
    120g SW mixed reef (see profile for equipment info) RBTAs, Shrooms, Zoas (new!) and fish..... and two fat cats

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    And, uh, just to be clear on this... I would NOT have to cure the dead base rock before putting it in the tank, correct? That is only for live rock that dies while being shipped etc, as opposed to sitting long dead in someone's basement?

0 Not allowed!
    first, you don't need 2lbs per gallon, that is likely more than you need. As for curing live rock, you don't really need to do that before adding it to a new tank. When you get your tank running and add all your rock, the stuff that dies on the live rock during shipping will fuel your cycle. That is where you will get the necessary ammonia to establish your biofilter.

Just remember this motto with your new tank "Nothing good happens fast in a marine tank."
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ahh ok. And that won't make my apartment smell like a dead body if I cure it in the tank? lol.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cat_fish_lady
    Ahh ok. And that won't make my apartment smell like a dead body if I cure it in the tank? lol.

LOL, it could. When I cycled my 90 gallon I had added about 35 lbs of freshly harvested live rock. There was a TON of die of and my basement smelt like I had a dead fish under the couch for two days.

The live rock you get from most LFS typically has been there a while so you won't get as much die off as I did.

Whether or not you cycle your rock inside or outside of your tank (in a QT tank) can be a personal preference as both work well if done correctly.

You could run carbon while cycling to limit any potential smell if you are concerned.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cat_fish_lady
    IME you should be ok. And 2lbs per gallon is a lot. It's close to what I have and I like it personally but then again I have a reef so the more room I have to put corals in the better lol

For a start I'd say only go with 1lb to 1.5lbs and see how you like the look, in terms of filtration via LR that'll be more than enough to start with haha

A little warning though from buying from craigslist, it's something I was wary of b/c you don't know what that rock's previous life in the other tank was, meaning stuff leaches into rock that might not come out until after being in you tank for a couple months. So just something to be cautious of, I'd definitely ask the previous owner if he used any chems or had a tank crash or anything like that.

If anything like a tank crash happened you should be ok by just cycling and making sure your parameters check out but just a word of caution
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah okay, yes less live rock needed is better in terms of money lol, though I know it'll be slow going seeding everything else.

I'll try to inspect the Craigslist rock as best I can if I do go see it... was thinking of using a website that someone suggested on this forum-- I think it was Cliff-- for eco-Reefer rock instead to make the bulk of the aquascape. The price for 50 lbs is quite reasonable, though I don't know how much shipping will be. But at least I won't have any doubts about my apartment being uninhabitable for several weeks due to the smell, lol! And then I'd just do about 10 lbs of live rock from my LFS.
    Last edited by cat_fish_lady; 02-24-2012 at 04:49 PM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Got my 55 lbs of Craigslist base (dry) rock... deal was too good to pass up. It's gorgeous Fiji rock, pics do it no justice, and doesn't smell like rotting flesh so that's a plus

The guy also threw in a free powerhead... it's an Askoll 402. A quick google search tells me this is an older one that is now marketed as Aquaclear 50. Anyone familiar with this? I figured it was free, and I don't have a powerhead yet, so what the hell.

Sorry for crappy photo quality btw, all pics I take are on my ghetto phone.