· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The new "reef"....

0 Not allowed!
    Well I finally got around to tearing down my 55G today...and let me tell you there was WAY WAY more rock in there than I ever thought. I always assumed I had about 70-80lbs, nope more like well over 100. So since I have became attached to my awesome coraline growth I couldnt bare to part with pretty much all of it. So I decided "hey that 50G is empty" so the reef will be going into the 50G instead of the 20G. I have spent the day wiring up plumbing...this thing is going to have mad circulation and avoid all the BS that was plaguing the 55G for the last 6 months. First off here is the specs:

2x39watt T5HO Current...Im actually going to see how this goes, I only have a few polyps and mushrooms left as I traded off most of the coral. As it was bought for FW I need to replace the pink bulb with an actinic but for a few days it should be fine.

1 Rio 6HF...running a rather interesting spraybar I have rigged up for the bottom of the tank.

2 Koralia 1s

1 Koralia Nano

1 AquaClear 110 "refugium" this will be ran reverse daylight

1 Fluval 206 Canister going to load it with long lasting chemical media and clean it once per month...will try a prefilter sponge to eliminate waste build up.

I added the contents of the cycling 20G to the 50 with some new water...will scape it tomorrow so I can get the rock out of various containers scattered all over my house. I even had to break down and use my favorite stock pot to hold rock because I ran out of places to put it
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    And here my wife tore me a new one when she found some driftwood in one of her pots

I'm looking forward to the pics Jenn

Sounds like a great set-up
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Ahhhhhh.......anxiious to see this tank too. I know it's gonna be great.

0 Not allowed!
    lol, sometimes ya have to put stuff where ya can. I must also say that Magic Kleen stuff from Hydro does not remove all of coraline it just takes the first couple of layers off. I may opt for some larger koralias I have in storage which will be cleaner than these. Heck its bare bottom not like I have to worry about sand flying around

I hope it is an improvement over the 55G, the narrowness of them makes it so difficult to get circulation...I also feel I had too much light on it for its width and lack of circulation. I also discovered when the SO and I hauled it out of the house the center brace was cracked pretty bad so good thing I got rid of it when I did.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Alas I wound up dumping a 20lb bag of tahitian moon sand in the tank...I couldnt get the rock to stack right...and I was afraid of scratching the tank bottom over time. It is a very very fine layer, just about 1/4", it is also easy to vacuum tahitian moon unlike sugar sized aragonite...so I dont expect as many problems. Plus the black looks pretty awesome

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    I'm getting pretty excited about seeing this tank too :)
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    I also just ordered a replacement bulb for the Current fixture, went with an Azoo 420nm actinic...mainly because it was cheap. I also discovered when setting up the fixture they included the 12K lamp instead of the 10K so it should look better once it clears. I also picked up a Koralia 550 Evolution pump...it was on sale for under $18 on BigAls if anyone is interested.

Right now I have 2 Koralia 2s on each end facing the middle of the tank....I will have a Koralia 1 and the Koralia 550 on the back wall facing the front on either end of the AC110 return. I swear to any deity if there is a dead spot in this tank I will scream

Edit:

Link to super cheap Koralia!

http://www.bigalsonline.com/fish/kor...-pump-550.html
    Last edited by MCHRKiller; 06-30-2012 at 04:53 AM.

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    I got the 'Fuge up and working...I am surprised at how much media space my section in the AC110 allows. I have a 250ML bag of Sea Gel, 100ML of Purigen, 2 AC50 bags of Carbon, and a PolyFilter cut in half and layered. I *may* not use the Fluval 206 I will see how nutrients are over the next month. I only have Chaeto in the Fuge section...not going to add rubble as it will only hold debris. The Fuge light is a 2.5G incandescent strip with a 6500K 10watt CFL. I simply placed it on top of the AC110 lid. The light is reverse daylight coming on 2 hours after the main tank light goes off and going off 2 hours before it comes back on. I may make it the full OFF period, but for now I am going to see how this works. Many people claim over time the algae will grow into the screen of the return forming somewhat of an algae scrubber. Time will also tell on that one.

All of the critters, corals and fish are back in the tank. The corals all opened, curly Q anemones are out, fish are well adjusted. So far so good. I did suffer one casualty during the move...and that was my female black clown who i found dried up behind the holding tank. I am down to only the 1 clown, 1 damsel, and 1 royal gramma. I will probably add 1 flame angel and call it stocked.

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    So far Im loving the new tank and scape

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    I'm lov'n the look with the black sand

Great job with the tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]