· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Adding plants without unwanted extras

0 Not allowed!
    I have noticed that a few LFSs have one or two fish in their plant tanks. I avoid these, but am wondering if there is a simple way to make sure you are not adding any unwelcome, invisible, newcomers to a tank when you take new plants home?

I don't mean snails (my assassins would like that) - I am thinking of things like ich, which an infected fish added to a plant tank in a LFS could lead to.

I have QT'd plants for a couple of weeks ever since, a few years back, I added new plants to an established tank (the only addition for at least 3 months) and had a small outbreak of ich a few days later. It was a simple tank, relatively easy to treat, but with my current tank inhabitants (various invertebrates, neons, pygmy corys etc.) that can be sensitive to treatments, heat and salt, I am not sure what I'd do.

I have heard of a short soak in permanganate - but I have no idea what that would actually work on - I think the post was about snails and snail eggs. Can't find it now.
    Planted 37 gallon, driftwood - BN, PG, Bleeding Heart, Neon & Glowlight Tetra, Pygmy Cory, Amano shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    quarantining is a good thing to do, but you can also dip some plants in a weak solution
    of either bleach, potassium permanganate or alum. That is known to kill algae and snails and their eggs and it should kill parasitic hitchhikers too. don't ask me for the exact ratios for mixing - I forgot long ago but researching it should not be too difficult.