· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 60 gal stocking ideas

0 Not allowed!
    I'm trying to plan out my fish for my tank. I'm wanting a peaceful community tank. No more aggressive fish, that's what I am re-homing to make a community tank. Please give me some ideas and numbers of fish. I like guppies and schooling fish. Really want it to fascinate my kiddos. I am also interested in loaches.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    With loaches as your fish of choice,why not an asian theme tank.A small school of chain loaches,and a school of 10 dwarf neon praecox rainbows.Throw in three or four pearl gourami,and a few bamboo shrimp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    Kuhli loaches are awesome!! They have a sort of eel shape, and I can see kids loving that.
    130g: 7 Angelfish, 1 Bolivian, 12 Neon Tetras, 14 Serpae Tetras, 9 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora ? Ghost Shrimp
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So how many loaches and what else could go in there? Could I have some schools of something? Not really interested in gouramis, maybe rams? Cory cats?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe a large school of cherry barbs. They are extremely active but not at all aggressive. A couple rams would be good too as long as you have 3 or 4 females to each male. They are one of the most peaceful kinds of cichlids but if they are in the wrong conditions a male can still bother the heck out of a lone female in the tank with him.

I also have threadfin rainbows which are extremely peaceful and can add some great color to your tank. They stay near the top of your tank so that would cover another level. They rarely go to the bottom at all so they would not bother the loaches or corys (whichever you decide to go with).

Keep plenty of hiding spots as well, no matter what kind of fish you end up with. That will really keep aggression down.

Cory cats would kind of be in the way of the loaches as they are both bottom dwellers. I would pick one or the other between those but not both.
    Last edited by ryann; 06-27-2012 at 09:06 PM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, I really like the look of the cherry barbs!! Do they school? So could I put cherry barbs, dwarf neon rainbows, 3 rams (1M/2F). and either cories or loaches? What about the numbers? Which loaches would be best?
    Last edited by gotpaper1981; 06-27-2012 at 09:34 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    kuhli loaches are very popular but its really up to you based on what you want. If I were you that is probably what I would go with but other kinds of loaches are fine too.

This is what I would suggest that you stock based on what you've said so far.

3x rams (1m/2f) bolivian, german blue, electric blue, gold, any of them really would be ok
    8x kuhli loaches
    12-15x dwarf neon rainbowfish
    12-15x cherry barbs

You can change the numbers a little how you like but just remember that all of those fish other than the rams are shoaling fish and need to be kept in groups of at least 6, preferably more.

EDIT: I forgot the livebearers you wanted. If you want you could decrease the number of barbs and rainbowfish and add a few mollys or guppies.
    Last edited by ryann; 06-27-2012 at 11:06 PM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love this plan. Think it will make a beautiful tank. I read the loaches really like sand substrate. Not a huge fan of it, had it with my turtles. Is there another option?

What order should the fish go in?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you do a fishless cycle you can add them all at one time. For substrate if you don't want to do sand maybe you could go with a really fine gravel. Maybe start a new thread asking other people that question specifically. I'm not exactly sure what kind of substrate they need but I know sand is usually recommended.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome. So my final plan will be:

10 cherry barbs
    10 dwarf neon rainbows
    3 Rams (1M/2F)
    8 Kuhli loaches (super cool!!)
    2-3 Guppies
    2-3 Mollies

That's a good tank I think. The kiddos are going to love having this set up in their gameroom!! Take a couple of weeks to get it all in place. Already have an established tank, just changing it all up. Doing away with more aggressive fish and going for a peaceful tank. I'd adopted these guys from folks moving and offered to find homes for their fish in exchange for all the equipment. Think it's all going to work out.