· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Opinions/thoughts on platies and their multitudes of babies

0 Not allowed!
    Hallo everyone.

I have a plan for my tank but I thought I'd ask you guys what you think.

I've always liked platies. I love that they give birth and I love fry. However, I don't want a gazillion babies all the time, overpopulating the tank. Most people would say to just buy males, but I really want to have at least a few fry. I was trying to figure out how I could have the best of both worlds and came to the following conclusion:

Buy only 3-4 females.

They are almost guaranteed to be pregnant already, assuming there are males in the store tank (Which there always are), right? Assuming that's true, I'd have 2-4 sets of fry being born. I get to watch the survivors live and have the joy of it, and I won't have like 30 new fish... and yet, if I WANT to have babies again in the future, I can just buy a single male. It solves the problem that some people run into, where they buy 3 or so males becaue they don't want babies, then later decide they do, only having to go and buy 6 females to even out the proper ratio of m:f.

What do you guys think?

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly, I have swordtails (which I prefer to platys), and after 3 "litters" being dropped I still don't have any survivors. The only ones which lived are the ones I removed to a separate tank.

I dunno who ate them all, whether it was the adult swords or the neons or kuhlis, but they seem to be doing an excellent job of controlling the population!

I think with 1m and 2-3f you'd be fine. :) My tank is heavily planted and also has lots of driftwood and stuff and the babies still all got snuffed out.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It all depends on the fish in there with the fry...

I had a platy give birth in a populated tank, and 3 of them survived! I definitely wouldn't plan on NONE of them surviving.

I like your idea about just buying females...they only problem is, what if the surviving fry are male? You will have inbreeding in no time, as well as a larger population than planned. Still, they may not survive and you can go buy a male whenever....so I guess the best idea for keeping livebearers is just to have a plan to get rid of the extras if they happen.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

0 Not allowed!
    I like your plan... Remember, from the surviving fry, some will be males, and after about 6 - 8 weeks, they'll be able to knock up their mom and aunties all over again.. So this will only really work short-term for limiting the breeding. You might want to add some kind of fry-eating carnivore to that tank later on if your population shows sign sof exploding (platies, at least my ones, seem a bit too lazy to chase down their own young).

Now I have platies in my 45 gallon with tetras and a platinum gourami, and even with the hungry-hungry gourami and the visious fry-hunting tetras (no, really, they are HUNTERS), one or two platties per "litter" still manage to survive to breeding size/age by hiding in the java moss..

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well as of right now, there are no fish in the tank, so any fry that aren't eaten by their moms will be fine, haha.

I have a rough plan for the rest of the tank stocking.... so far there will be a medium school of either tetras or neon rainbows, an angel or gourami as a centerpiece and a school of either loaches or cories.

Edit: and yeah I really wasn't think about some of the fry being male, hahah. Maybe I could sell them/give them away before they can impregnate anyone, if there's lots of them.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have only had one fry survive in over 7 months with 1 male and 3 females platies in my 29 gallon. the fry is a male and trying to mate with everything in the tank so that could change but even with the addition of java moss their survival rate hasnt improved.
    29g fresh planted community 1 Thick Lipped Sunset Gourami, 5 pristella x-ray tetras, 6 neon tetras and 3 platies with amazon sword and rotala indinca
    2.5g Betta tank with 1 male
    10 Gallon QT tank 3 MM Platy

0 Not allowed!
    the angel or gourami you get will happily snack on 90% of the platty babies.

0 Not allowed!
    Just thought I'd add... A lot of experienced aquarists don't like livebearers because they're common, messy, and produce heaps of babies, but I really love my swords. :) They are so much more colourful than anything else in any of my tanks, they really stand out. I think you'll love your platies.

Might I recommend the sunset or marigold varieties. :) My swordtails are pineapple and I love the bright gold.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You mentioned an angel....how big is your tank? They need lots of room.

I loved having livebearers in my tank as a kid..I'd always pick out the "fat" females from the petstore. Little did I know they would all eventually be fat anyway. :)

I'd like livebearers now, really, but I am too lazy to be responsible with the fry (a few ALWAYS survive, darn it!)
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

Default Might not be the answer you are looking for but it works for me :-P

0 Not allowed!
    I feed mollys and guppys to my Oscar[11"] by the dozen at times, He is pretty effective at live bearer disposal.

They need to be nearly adult juvies though or he doesn't bother to chase them.. Not worth the effort if any smaller apparently

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.